For those of you who can cast a fly line...

S

Skook

How much line can you carry in the air versus how much line do you shoot with a single-hand fly rod?

Last edited:
Depends on a lot of things.

Let me ask you this: I can pretty easily huck almost my entire line with an 8 or 9 wt, if needed. On stillwater, I'm often casting to almost the backing.

On my 5 wt, I'm fishing an Orvis Hydros line that, I believe, is ~48 foot olive head and then peach running line. I'm not sure the peach has ever touched the water.

Is that difference of more effectively shooting line at higher rod weights normal? Or does my 5 wt rod just suck so much I can only shoot about 45 feet?

I am not a long-distance casting expert, but I would say your experience at being able to cast an 8wt farther than a 5wt is typical, but there are folks who can cast an entire 5wt line with little fanfare.

Is the taper and head of a fly line a limiting factor? Is it possible to carry any meaningful amount of running line in the air, or will the line essentially collapse at that point?

Last edited:
Not worried about carrying line or shooting. I use as much line as required for my situation. Rarely do I have to or want to cast longer than 40'

Generally, I only shoot whatever length of line that's loose off the reel. I try to limit loose line because I tend to wander while casting and don't like stepping on it. I'll relax that a little when standing in water above the knees. Close casting repeatedly, I'll have no loose line off the reel at all.

I am not a long-distance casting expert, but I would say your experience at being able to cast an 8wt farther than a 5wt is typical, but there are folks who can cast an entire 5wt line with little fanfare.

Is the taper and head of a fly line a limiting factor? Is it possible to carry any meaningful amount of running line in the air, or will the line essentially collapse at that point?

Line taper is a major factor on how much line can be arielized and how much you can shoot.

If you look at a rio outbound short for example, the line has a heavy short head and is designed to be shot with minimal casting. Pick it up, one haul and fire out 40 -60 ft of line. Compare that to something like a scientific anglers expert distance which has one of the longest heads on the market. Can you pick it up haul and shoot in one false cast, kind of. It will allow you to keep a whole lot more line in the air and land your fly on the water with much less gusto.

As a basic rule, the longer the head of the line..... the more you can keep in the air. Once you reach running line, a line collapse is more likely.

Line tapers that will lend to keeping more line in the air a "little easier"....

Rio gold
SA expert distance
Airflo technical taper
SA infinity
and several others.

Lastly, the old DT or level line tapers would be good for you to mess around with if you can find them

Just remember those long casts will affect your hook up ratios.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Let's assume the question is about distance casting and not fishing.

Lastly, the old DT or level line tapers would be good for you to mess around with if you can find them
I do have a couple old DT lines laying around. Unfortunately, I think they were all cut in half and shared between me and my dad. Always trying to save a buck....;)

Thanks for all the replies. Let's assume the question is about distance casting and not fishing.

Here's 2 lines that match what you are looking for. What rod are you going to be using?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230919-094611.png
    Screenshot_20230919-094611.png
    349.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230919-094803.png
    Screenshot_20230919-094803.png
    139.7 KB · Views: 21
Thank you, krayfish2. The rods are TBD. I am currently having a NFC Gamma Alpha 9' 5wt and a 9' 6wt wrapped up by a local rod builder. NFC describes these rods as being moderate/fast, and the Gamma Beta as being fast. From what I've read, the Gamma Alpha blank is plenty fast but just isn't quite as fast as the Gamma Beta, which is supposedly a true cannon. I've never cast one of these rods, but I paid $60 for each blank, so it was almost a no-brainer. Several months ago, NFC ran a "Any 10 blanks for $500 deal (plus $100 for federal tax)", and I got in on a group buy for two blanks for $120.

I have a 7wt Sage XP and a 7wt St. Croix Legend Elite that I cast fairly well. I also have a Cabela's LSi 8wt and a Sage RPL 9wt. I have other 3wt (e.g., Sage SLT), 4wt (e.g., Redington Classic Trout) 5wt (e.g., Loomis GL4) and 6wt (e.g., Fenwick Streamflex Plus) rods, too, but the heavier weight rods I mentioned are probably the rods I own that would most lend themselves to casting longer distances. As you can tell by some of the rods I currently own, super long-distance casting has never really been a focus of mine.

I have a Cabela's LSi 6wt switch rod and a 7wt Redington Chromer switch rod that I've fished just a few times for smallmouth and steelhead. If I ever become more proficient in Spey casting, I have no doubt that 100' casts would be relatively easy for me with these rods.

I plan to retire in a few years and would like to step up my fly fishing and casting game as one of my primary hobbies in retirement. I get the whole, "I never need to cast more than 40 feet" or "accuracy is more important than distance" arguments, but I've been there and done that. I'm looking forward to a new challenge to keep me motivated in my old(er) age. I am also looking forward to adding in some travel destinations where 70' or longer casts into wind can come into play.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I'd say grab a few lines and go practice in the yard or a local waterway. If your mechanics are sound, you can do it. If not, some casting help will be needed to get you over the hump. Become efficient at sidearm, tucking it under trees, etc.

One thing I will say is casting 70' and hitting the target is great but understanding HOW to fish at distance is equally important. I guided a FFF certified master casting instructor. He could drop it on a saucer at 70+ but would then freeze and the fly dragged in less than 2'. I've also seen a guy catch a fish at 75' by using a 35' cast and mending like a wizard. The second example will get the job done all day long.

Kray. If you're going to the WW jam I would be interested in discussing/physically playing ghos out as I have considered myself a good caster but not necessarily using the most technical gear or techniques. Always been satisfied with what works. Could be enlightening.

Friday morning, might be able to swing by, Saturday I'm working 14 hours and Sunday is up in the air.

I plan to retire in a few years and would like to step up my fly fishing and casting game as one of my primary hobbies in retirement.
When you retire you won’t have the time to be farting around with casting. best you fart around while your still working.

I guided a FFF certified master casting instructor. He could drop it on a saucer at 70+ but would then freeze and the fly dragged in less than 2'. I've also seen a guy catch a fish at 75' by using a 35' cast and mending like a wizard. The second example will get the job done all day long.
Krayfish reminds us of the ripped off golf analogy.
Cast for show and drift for dough. (Golfers use drive and putt.)
I'm such a mediocre caster that my drift/mending is 400% more important than my casting. I don't even know if I could see a 16 or 14 dry fly from 70' away.

Krayfish reminds us of the ripped off golf analogy.
Cast for show and drift for dough. (Golfers use drive and putt.)
I'm such a mediocre caster that my drift/mending is 400% more important than my casting. I don't even know if I could see a 16 or 14 dry fly from 70' away.
I know this is a trout-centric forum, but there are vast oceans out there teeming with fish just waiting to have a hook stuck in their face. Casting for stripers off a NJ jetty really isn't much of a stretch of my imagination, and a maximum casting ability of 30' might not cut it. I regularly fish for steelhead in NY with a friend who float fishes with a centerpin. I've seen him catch fish from seams in the river that I just couldn't reach with a fly rod, especially with having no room for an effective back cast.

My wife and I are planning to spend several days in the Florida Keys this winter. I don't think it would be unreasonable for me to hire a guide for a half-day or day and maybe cast to bonefish, tarpon, or permit from a flats skiff. Perhaps a maximum casting ability of 40' for a person who has been fly fishing for over 40 years might be somewhat embarrassing. I just can't figure out why the mere mention of long casts mostly elicits such cynical reactions here.

The average drive on the PGA tour is just a hair under 300 yards. My guess is that any golfer who can drive a ball much less than that won't be on the tour for long, regardless of how good his short game is and despite any catchy generalizations to the contrary.

Last edited:
I just can't figure out why the mere mention of long casts mostly elicits such cynical reactions here.
No cynicism intended. I'm only fishing within the limitations of my own equipment and personal skills. I've become very content with the results.
On the creek, all three of my sons can cast like Pitt's stuntman in "The Movie" from several years ago. I'll catch as many or more fish than any of them - despite my comparatively pathetic efforts.

I know this is a trout-centric forum, but there are vast oceans out there teeming with fish just waiting to have a hook stuck in their face. Casting for stripers off a NJ jetty really isn't much of a stretch of my imagination, and a maximum casting ability of 30' might not cut it. I regularly fish for steelhead in NY with a friend who float fishes with a centerpin. I've seen him catch fish from seams in the river that I just couldn't reach with a fly rod, especially with having no room for an effective back cast.

My wife and I are planning to spend several days in the Florida Keys this winter. I don't think it would be unreasonable for me to hire a guide for a half-day or day and maybe cast to bonefish, tarpon, or permit from a flats skiff. Perhaps a maximum casting ability of 40' for a person who has been fly fishing for over 40 years might be somewhat embarrassing. I just can't figure out why the mere mention of long casts mostly elicits such cynical reactions here.

The average drive on the PGA tour is just a hair under 300 yards. My guess is that any golfer who can drive a ball much less than that won't be on the tour for long, regardless of how good his short game is and despite any catchy generalizations to the contrary.
I agree long casting is not often necessary when trout fishing. Accuracy and good presentation are usually more important.

But I also agree, there are some types of fishing where longer casts are needed to give a FFer a reasonable chance at a fish. Plus casting a fly line can be a fun sport in itself.

I suggest if you are looking to do some saltwater fishing as described above, practice casting longer distances with a SW outfit and learn to double haul before you hire a guide to fish. The trip will be a lot more fun, I guarantee. Videos can help learning technique and form, but it may be best to seek out a casting instructor to get you started on the right track.

I will say trying to cast in the wind is the most difficult thing to deal with when fly casting, especially since windy conditions are often the case when SW fishing.

FFing in the ocean is really different from fishing for freshwater fish, but loads of fun! Once you get a little salt running through your veins you may never want to leave.

Good luck if you go.

Back