Folstaf Out of Business

Bamboozle

Bamboozle

Another great product bites the dust...

Lee Stoliar Dufresne the daughter of Arthur & Joan Stoliar has closed the business after 35 years.

Apparently she passed the repair business over to a former employee but you will no longer be able to buy a new Folstaf once they are gone...

That really sucks because they were the best and most practical wading staffs out there and I should know as I own about 3 other competitive products. Fortunately I also own 2 Folstafs and that's what I use.

It also sucks because Joan Stoliar was a freind of mine and gave me my first Folstaf in her Greenwich Village basement workshop where she and her husband Arthur made them...

Last edited:
Thankfully, I haven't aged quickly enough, nor have I been too adventurous, to need one of these - yet.
If these products are the best, I wonder if the patents will become available for other manufacturers to make them again.

There are a zillion knockoffs out there so I doubt there was much if any patent protection.

However I have a few ideas on how to make the Folstaf even better so if anybody with the skill set to fabricate wants to go into business, shoot me a PM. ;)

Dammit, I corresponded with her back in the spring about getting an old (80's model) thin tube Folstaff recorded. This is a bummer, I have 2 others but wanted to get that one redone cause it's one of the 1st things I bought when I got my 1st job in high school.

I bought mine from Walt Dette. I remember it cost 40.00. Still going strong but has a slight curve to it.

I bought mine from Walt Dette. I remember it cost 40.00. Still going strong but has a slight curve to it.
I think I paid around the same. I put a slight curve in mine as well on the Bush Kill. :)

...I put a slight curve in mine as well on the Bush Kill. :)

I got my first Folstaf RIGHT after about killing myself on the Bushkill at Resica...

And to all the young whippersnappers out there that think wading staffs are for old men, I was 23 at the time. ;)

Sorry to read this. My folstaff has kept me on larger waters for several years now.

There are a zillion knockoffs out there so I doubt there was much if any patent protection.

However I have a few ideas on how to make the Folstaf even better so if anybody with the skill set to fabricate wants to go into business, shoot me a PM. ;)
Since I'll be 60 by month's end, I plan on looking into a wading stick. I don't really want to use an actual stick. I also don't want to double the purchase value of my fishing kit. Is $60-$100 reasonable for a collapsible staff that won't wear out or break in one or two seasons of use?

Since I'll be 60 by month's end, I plan on looking into a wading stick. I don't really want to use an actual stick. I also don't want to double the purchase value of my fishing kit. Is $60-$100 reasonable for a collapsible staff that won't wear out or break in one or two seasons of use?

It's your neck, but to me saving my own is well worth double that amount...

I got my first Folstaf RIGHT after about killing myself on the Bushkill at Resica...

And to all the young whippersnappers out there that think wading staffs are for old men, I was 23 at the time. ;)
I was 16 or 17 at the time, we used to fish by Winona Falls road. And the Broadhead and the Lackawaxen. None are an easy wade. :)

I got confused…
I thought it went under years ago.
Falstaff didn’t help my wading one bit!
IMG 4001

Broom sticks never go out of business. Just sayin’

i dread the day i need to carry a staff. just another thing to carry around. but i do get its importance especially if your older. a neighbor in my town uses an old ski pole for his wading staff. he swears by it.

Hsvexa garage full of ski poles if anyone is looking. I had at least one tall child.

Waling stick/ski pole. GG

I love sticks. Way more character and strength. I always keep one eye out for a good looking stick.

just had a wading staff given to me. Plenty of times I wish I would have had one

Steve

You might appreciate the combo staff & folding nets by NETrekk

Back