foam terrestrials?

F

flynoob

Looking to start tying with some foam for the terrestrials, should have started a few months ago but haven't been able to sit at the vice for as long as I want. Anyways, what sort of foam should I be looking for? I don't have any craft stores in my area, not even a Ben Franklin!! What thickness should I be looking for? Closed foam? All advice would be great!

You'll want closed ceel foam of different thicknesses. I'm not sure what thickness measurements they use - I'd guess standard would be 2MM. Keep in mind, the thinner stuff can be stacked to make thicker pieces. White is a good color as it can be colored with a magic marker. I use mostly black, green, and light brown. I tie almost all my terrestrials now with foam and love it. I would suggest that light use of Superglue will definitely help with your foam tying. Stronger thread helps too allowing you to cinch down the foam forcefully which makes for a more durable fly with better looking segments. If there isn't a craft store near you, you can mail order foam from a fly shop. The stuff they sell will be the closed cell variety. Foam sheets are, however, much cheaper at the craft shop. Check WalMart - often they have foam kids toys and hat brims which can easily be cut up for fly tying.

check the local dollar stores too. Found a pack of foam the other day for a buck.

Ants, beetles, crickets, grasshoppers, inch worms, Chernobyl ants, stoneflies. Lots of foam patterns out there. I even tie my extended body mayflies with foam.

I love foam! Floats like a cork and catches fish!

You can also use the lower density (PE) pipe insulation for black ants and beetles. It's a pain to cut it in strips b/c they are round, but it's doable. This type of foam floats better in my experience. Be careful about binding down too tightly with thin thread. You can cut through it.
It is found in hardware stores. There are other types of foam insulation you can find there too that might be used for this purpose.

+1 on not getting the foam from the fly shop. bought about 40 sheets from ac moore for about 3 dollars. lifetime supply.

Grabbed a 50 pack in with all the colors of the rainbow plus black, tan, and white for 4 bucks from Wally World. Thanks guys. Gonna tie up some orange beetles so i can finally catch those bastards that keep blasting my thingamabobbers

I also tie up a strike indicator with foam. Get the rubber O rings from a hardware store, cut strips of foam, and tie it around the ring. Works pretty well and you won't feel bad if it breaks down or you lose it.

Back