Foam Question.....

J

jmflyfisher

I am getting ready to tie a bunch of Chubby Chernobyls for upcoming fishing trips. I have used craft foam in the past, but wanted to ask.... Do you use a single layer for a fly, or do you double it up by gluing two sheets together? For what it's worth, I am tying size 10 and 12 flies. I looked at some You Tube videos, and most of them were using a single layer of foam....
Thanks in advance!

I have used two thin 1/8" layers glued together. I have put one layer on each side of the hook shank and also both on top, but I did find my hooksets went down when on bottom of shank. Use a wider gape hook if you do.

What thickness of foam are you going to use for your size 10 and 12 chubbys? That should let you know if you will need to double up on it.

While I really like how “pretty” the two tone foam flies are, does a fish even see the top layer of foam? I think some tyers go for aesthetics over functionality.

I use craft foam from the craft stores on most everything other than beetles. Yes I double it up because it is so thin. I think it’s only like a 1 or 1.5 mil. I pre-glue two and sometimes 3 sheets together. typically I have at least two colors. For the record I don’t tie or use Chubby Chernobyls but it’s just a foam fly by another name.

Bottom color is seen by the fish and top color is seen by the fisher. It's unlikely that the fisher can't see a size 10-12 foam dry fly regardless of the top color.

I am getting ready to tie a bunch of Chubby Chernobyls for upcoming fishing trips. I have used craft foam in the past, but wanted to ask.... Do you use a single layer for a fly, or do you double it up by gluing two sheets together? For what it's worth, I am tying size 10 and 12 flies. I looked at some You Tube videos, and most of them were using a single layer of foam....
Thanks in advance!

You don't need double layered foam on a C.C.

Stick to one layer of 2mm on the #10 and larger and *maybe* drop down to the 1m thin foam for smaller sizes. Definitely use the 1mm if you are trying to tie anything smaller than #12. The 1mm foam is hard to find in craft stores but can be found online for much cheaper than what fly tying suppliers charge.

Using two layers of foam, particularly two layers of 2mm will make it difficult to get your wraps tight enough to secure the wings and legs, particularly on the sizes you mention.

I've tied and used chubbies a lot. The most critical component for flotation is the wing. Tie the wings longer and a little on the heavy side. You can always trim them shorter and thin them out on-stream with your nippers.

Also, while the commercially tied chubbies are usually on a 3x hook, I go one size up in a 2x to take advantage of a wider hook gap. Same body and wing proportions, just on the nominally larger hook.

And finally, get appropriate sized leg material. In #10 and especially #12 most silicon or sexifloss leg material will look stupid thick, even some of the small or "micro" legs. I get all my leg material for chubbies from Fly Tyer's Dungeon. They have the sexifloss style of material in a range of small sizes that are suitable for everything from the smallest to largest. The prices are also very resonable. I get my wing mateiral there also, check out the crinkle hair.

Between using them in small sizes here in PA and burning through a few dozen of them in a few weeks spent in MT every year, I've got Chubby Chernobyls figured out pretty well and what I've written hear is what I've settled on. Small or micro chubbies are my go to on dry-dropper rigs here at home and tied small enough with the 1mm foam and appropriate sized legs, they make a top notch searching or attractor dry for small streams. Heck, I even use them during the grannom hatch with good results.

i used 1 layer of foam

Chubby-Chernobyl-1080.jpg

You don't need double layered foam on a C.C.

Stick to one layer of 2mm on the #10 and larger and *maybe* drop down to the 1m thin foam for smaller sizes. Definitely use the 1mm if you are trying to tie anything smaller than #12. The 1mm foam is hard to find in craft stores but can be found online for much cheaper than what fly tying suppliers charge.

Using two layers of foam, particularly two layers of 2mm will make it difficult to get your wraps tight enough to secure the wings and legs, particularly on the sizes you mention.

I've tied and used chubbies a lot. The most critical component for flotation is the wing. Tie the wings longer and a little on the heavy side. You can always trim them shorter and thin them out on-stream with your nippers.

Also, while the commercially tied chubbies are usually on a 3x hook, I go one size up in a 2x to take advantage of a wider hook gap. Same body and wing proportions, just on the nominally larger hook.
^This

I just wanna say that I love the chubby Chernobyl. I love its high level of visibility, this is especially important when launching this fly. I use these a lot for pond fishing. For pond fishing I'll trail mine with a size 14 black hard body (epoxy ant). I get most takes on the ant but will get hits up top as the evening sets in.

I think we are all talking different thickness of craft foam. To me craft store foam comes in the 8.5” by 11” sheet for about 60 cents a sheet. The craft foam I have is roughly 1/16” or 1.5 MM thick as I just measured with my micrometers. 1/8” foam is 3 mm.
I have no idea how long ago I bought this craft foam or where since I probably haven’t bought any in a decade. when I use the 1.5mm craft foam I double it. If my craft foam was 2mm or 3mm thick I would not double it.

I guess I should post some pictures, but I ended up tying Chubbies using a single layer of 2mm foam on the smaller sizes (12 and smaller) and two layers of foam that I glued together for larger sizes. I may have tied the wing a little sparse on the first few, but managed to tie some that I think will work just fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.....

Instead of craft foam, I have switched over to using Rainy's Evazote Foam (usually 1/8") for patterns like the chubby and other terrestrial patterns. It's a closed-cell foam that just floats better than craft foam, and this is especially useful if you are using the fly in a dry-dropper rig with a heavier nymph underneath.

Back