Foam Crickets

F

Fishidiot

Usually this time of year guys who throw terrestrials entertain thoughts of hoppers, and for good reason. Grasshoppers are at their largest and, at least from what I've observed, at their most active during hot days in late summer and early fall. However, there's a similar alternative that works well all summer, esp in the morning: crickets. Since I prefer to tie my terrestrials (those over about #18) with foam, I use basically the same method to tie both crickets and hoppers. While one can always stick to the venerable Chernobyl Ant, I like my flies a bit more realistic so tie my crickets with legs, tail, and antennae (note: crickets have long antennae while hoppers have short ones). While black foam works fine, if you observe crickets, most are brown with shades of dark gray. To replicate this, I like a brown fur dub body. This fur body also absorbs water and acts as a counterweight (along with a heavy nymph hook) to ensure that the fly rides upright on the surface with the visibility post visible. Like hoppers, large foam crickets also function very well as floaters for a hopper/dropper set up. Try a small wet ant under a cricket in the summer. This fly is fairly easy to tie although I'd hasten to add that some Superglue is very helpful in modest amounts, esp over the fur body before you lash down the foam to keep it from turning around the shank. The joint in the hind legs are also joined with Superglue. Crickets are versatile - tie one on some time if you're looking to try something different.

Attachments

• Crickets.jpg
    Crickets.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 8
Very nice ties Dave :pint:

Nicer than my Letort crickets, fo'sure.

Dave,
I like them, and you know how I like to tie to realistically, but the grey wingcase is something you could eliminate.

I tie something very similar with a 1/4 foam body trimmed and sili-legs peirced through the thorax and folded back.

Maybe I'll start to add antennae and those mating things out of the abdomen.

Crickets are great. They seem to work really well in the summer mornings and evenings. I think they work better than grasshoppers. My favorite pattern to tie and fish is Harry Steeves "Crystal Butt Cricket". I caught my last Wild Tiger Trout on 6-18-10 on Harry's pattern after the fish had refused everything else I threw at it! I'm sure glad I had a couple of crickets in my chest box that evening. If any of you fellas get up to "Flyfishers" fly shop in State College, Steve has a photo of that fish as well as one of my first Wild Tiger. Those fish are spectacular examples of Wild Tigers. Tight Lines to All.

Nice. I agree that the wingcase can be eliminated...

Thanks guys. Yeah, the wing case thingy could be eliminated. The reason it's there, aside from some aesthetic fancy, is to cover over the spots where the thread cinched into the foam body creating segments (as one would see in a Chernobyl Ant). Cricket bodies lack this ant-like segmentation and the wing case makes for a more streamlined profile when seen from below. The orange visibility post, if darkened on the underside, could provide this affect as well but I usually want my vis posts to protrude slightly upward.

As for the mating tails - I seem to recall that crickets actually have three, but I tied two on this batch. But who's counting? ;-)

I caught a couple crickets this morning and some have 2 "tails" and some have 2 but have the mating "tail" that is in the middle.

I believe females have the long on in the middle for egg deposit.

Good call on the hoppers. They really seemed to get active in the past few weeks!

Back