foam crickets and grasshoppers

RonB

RonB

When you tie foam crickets and grasshoppers do yo use the preshaped bodies or do yuou use the sheets. I was at Bass Pro today and I picked up the preshaped bodies. Just wondering whgat others think of them.....If you use the sheets what thickness do you use?

I just cut strips of foam. Easiest and cheapest.

I think I use the 3mm thickness, maybe?

I buy cheap sheets at craft stores - 3-5mm mostly. You can cut the bodies to shape and color the sheets with magic markers. If you want a thicker or multi colored bodies like the factory ones, you can just stack the thinner sheets.

Fishidiot wrote:
I buy cheap sheets at craft stores - 3-5mm mostly. You can cut the bodies to shape and color the sheets with magic markers. If you want a thicker or multi colored bodies like the factory ones, you can just stack the thinner sheets.

The only problem with the stuff at the craft stores is that it comes in a multipack and the majority of the colors I have no need for, plus it's harder to find more 'natural' colors.

That being said, I do usually get mine from the craft store still.

Yea,
I looked at 2 different craft stores and could not find the colors I was looking for......

Yeah, they always have fun pretty colors for crafting. Finding things like tan, black, brown, etc. is difficult. It doesn't even seem like Amazon really carries any.

Really? My local joanne fabrics has 20 odd colors. I have tans and browns plus all the brights. I also cut and stack mine to achieve required thickness. Sort of nice too, because you can layer different colors.

Joann > Michaels IMO Better selection.

*we all sound like a bunch of pansies right about now.

http://www.joann.com/search/_foam_sheets/?psize=48

The animal prints will make for some interesting frog patterns, etc.. I have all the colors except them, have to get some next.

I buy the multi pack at walmart. I keep the black, green, brown and tan, my 8 year old daughter ties pink, yellow and gaudy colored blue gill spiders and princess-looking hoppers with the rest.

wsender wrote:
Yeah, they always have fun pretty colors for crafting. Finding things like tan, black, brown, etc. is difficult. It doesn't even seem like Amazon really carries any.

Here is what you can tie with the pink foam
http://hopperfishing.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/how-to-tie-the-pink-pookie-hopper/

henry I tie that one, pink is killer at times.. I hand cut right now, am going to get some sets of cutters for different stuff, crab,crease,hopper,shrimp,etc.

Volksnurse wrote:
I buy the multi pack at walmart. I keep the black, green, brown and tan, my 8 year old daughter ties pink, yellow and gaudy colored blue gill spiders and princess-looking hoppers with the rest.

That is very cool...quality time tying flies with your 8 year old daughter! I was thinking about getting one of these for my 2 year old granddaughter and store it until she is ready!

Pink Combo

BelAirSteve wrote:

That is very cool...quality time tying flies with your 8 year old daughter! I was thinking about getting one of these for my 2 year old granddaughter and store it until she is ready!

Pink Combo

That is so cool...I think she'll need that! :-D

Thanks Steve!

Volksnurse wrote:
BelAirSteve wrote:

Pink Combo

That is so cool...I think I need that! :-D

FYP. It'd match the T.G.E.B. :cool:

Attachments

• pinkelement.jpg
    pinkelement.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4
I made a fly box with the colors i didnt want for flies. I made mine a bit different from this one, I just used a razor blade to make foam slits. I am pretty happy with it.

http://bentrodmedia.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/coming-to-a-easter-basket-near-you/

Heritage-Angler wrote:

FYP. It'd match the T.G.E.B. :cool:

Just sad HA...Way too much free time.

Hater.

i have no problem finding tan,green,black or brown.

i find the bright unnatural colors are great for gartside gurglers for bass and panfish.

Back