Flying with your fishing gear

Flew out west last September from Pittsburgh to Denver then Denver to Missoula,Mt. Not a problem getting my gear on. Checked one big bag and carried on one bag and my rods. Rods were three piece bamboo in Fishpond codura covered tube w/shoulder strap about 46" long. Went through all the airports without a problem. Seen lots of guys with two piece rods in tubes and they got on. Didn't seem to be a problem for any of the fishermen that I flew with. You'll be fine and have a great time.

I have the Orvis Safe Passage rolling duffle I bought with credit card points I had. Doing business with Orvis is a pleasure. I had some shipping issues and they just reshipped a second bag no questions asked so that I could have it for my last trip. But I digress.

Its an awesome gear bag. 5 stars. I never pack my rods and reels. Too risky with the TSA and I have expensive gear and we always hear rumors of TSA agents "helping" themselves to items they mysteriously seem to need to confiscate. I have never had an issue with carryon with my four piece rods and I travel and fish alot. Probably 20 times a year minimum. On arrival I put the rods in the wader compartment in the bag bottom and away I go.

I think its worth the money and occasionally you can find them onsale.

Mr. Roach: If you just consulted with me or the Prof we would have told you to UPS your gear to the Bitteroot Fly Shop like we are going to do. You use UPS Ground round trip shipping a couple of days before we go. The fly shop is close to the house we are renting and we need to go there anyway to buy a license.

We sent ours when we went out west last year. You can send them to a local UPS location and have them hold them for you there.

Back