Flying with your fishing gear

sroach

sroach

I did a quick search before posting, and didn't see anything.

I am going to have a fishing trip coming up and I wanted to see what others do for packing their gear?

A quick google search resulted in a couple nice looking bags:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7Y3K

http://www.basspro.com/G-Loomis-Cargo-Roller-Bag/product/1301100551233/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=1301100551233%26adc=pg_315_11128_5282c112e4b006f67e9586c9_36312520831

If you don't have a set of luggage or if you plan to use the bag to conveniently lug your stuff around while fishing near home, then go ahead and get the orvis or loomis bag. On the other hand, if you have some luggage already, the $200+ can be spent on more useful things IMO. You don't need special luggage to fly with your gear. Between a large piece of checked luggage and a carry-on, you should be able to take more than you need, including clothing. If you have concerns about your rods, strap them to your carry-on and take them on. (Talking 4 piece rods here)

Kev

Timely post! I have a typical, maybe 4' long rod w/reel case. Any issues taking that as a carry-on?? Heading west in June and I like to travel lite and fast i.e. not 'checking' any luggage.

I have been flying out west every year for the past 10 years. One checked bag, one carry on.

My typical carry on consists of a small duffel holding loaded fly boxes (6-8), change of clothes (shirt, pants, socks etc.), meds and hygiene stuff, fly reels (3), glasses, and other small personal items. On top of the carry on are two Orvis tubes (a Helios and Superfine 4 piece rods lashed together).

My checked bag has waders (2 pair), wading boots, sling pack with all the sharp objects, additional clothes, raingear, etc.

Have flown Continental (when it was Continental), United, USAir, and Southwest without any issues at all. Have even taken Express Jets (the small planes) for short hauls and connections without problems.

I have flown into Jackson Hole, Bozeman, Billings, and Salt Lake as a few examples.

Just be sure your carry on has no sharps and unapproved powders or liquids. Usually fly out of Pittsburgh or Cleveland....coming back there are even less issues if any.

And if you forget to pack something.....you can always pick it up on arrival.

Great! But to answer my question, will they let me pack a 3 - 4 ft. rod case in the overhead?

don't forget also to make sure your hemostats or leatherman etc are in the checked bag.

i always carry a copy of the TSA advice that says rods may be taken on as hand luggage and 'delicate' items such as reels or flies should be in your hand luggage - this can be useful with 'knowitall' check in staff.

if you have to check your stuff in - i split my stuff between two bags in case one gets lost/delayed etc,

Foxfire......my rod tubes are 36".....so depending on where you are between 3-4 feet, I think you should be fine.....

I have seen some larger tubes (5 -6 foot) be accommodated, but have not experienced first hand.

Now if you're at 4' 1" you may have a problem :)

foxfire wrote:
Great! But to answer my question, will they let me pack a 3 - 4 ft. rod case in the overhead?

I've never had a problem with carrying on rods cases 36" and under.

Call the airline in question. I flew to Seattle with a 41" spey rod case that they let me hold the entire flight. My last flight to Florida, the airline wouldn't allow me to carry on a standard tube for a 9' 4pc so I mailed it ahead of time.

I have been flying out west every year for the past 10 years. One checked bag, one carry on.

My typical carry on consists of a small duffel holding loaded fly boxes (6-8), change of clothes (shirt, pants, socks etc.), meds and hygiene stuff, fly reels (3), glasses, and other small personal items. On top of the carry on are two Orvis tubes (a Helios and Superfine 4 piece rods lashed together).

My checked bag has waders (2 pair), wading boots, sling pack with all the sharp objects, additional clothes, raingear, etc.

Have flown Continental (when it was Continental), United, USAir, and Southwest without any issues at all. Have even taken Express Jets (the small planes) for short hauls and connections without problems.

I have flown into Jackson Hole, Bozeman, Billings, and Salt Lake as a few examples.

Just be sure your carry on has no sharps and unapproved powders or liquids. Usually fly out of Pittsburgh or Cleveland....coming back there are even less issues if any.

And if you forget to pack something.....you can always pick it up on arrival.

Chromid,

This is an excellent response!!!

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for, you just made my day easier.

I have shipped stuff UPS ahead of time. It is there when you get there.

You're going to laugh at this, but when I was traveling all the time and lugging my fishing stuff on planes all the time, my GF gave me a snow boarding bag for my stuff. At that time I had a couple of 9 foot 2 piece rods I was carrying. I still carry one of them because it's a great rod and I just used the bag going to Yellowstone this year. I have no idea how much it was, because it was a Christmas gift. But it's been heavily used for 15 years. Everyone asks me where I'm going skiing. LOL!

foxfire wrote:
I don't know the answer to that question, but maybe not. Call whatever airline you're using.

The other thing is, never put your rods etc in a label bag -.orvis ll bean etc. it's advertising you have some nice kit - same reason I don't have fishing stickers on the rig.

I use an old military surplus bag and pack the rods in the middle.

I'm guessing it looks like a bag of old mans underpants :0)

There's been a lot of good advice posted here. I have only a couple of comments. I've flown rods to many places, including Alaska, NM, and Cancun. I usually carry on my reels and rods, and pack everything else in my baggage. In my experience some flight crews can get nervous if you come on board with a rod case that looks like it can be used as a weapon. Fabric rather than metal tubes if at all possible. One of my rod cases is 40" long, canvas, and about 8" in diameter. It carries up to about 6 rods no problem, and air crews have stowed it in the up front closet when it won't fit overhead. But not all crews will be so cooperative. I have a trout rod case optimized for 4 pc rods (also canvas) that fits OHD in all but the smallest planes. I use it instead of the massive case when I can: it's much better if you don't have to ask the crew for favors. I have a friend who travels with 2 piece rods all the time. He makes a massive case out of PVC pipe, stuffed with foam, and sealed with duct tape. He has to check it, but has never had problems.

wtsobsessed,

Some more great information. Thank you.

I've found the only thing consistent about flying with fishing tackle (or anything else for that matter) is inconsistency from both the TSA and the airlines.

I've flown to a destination and was allowed to carry something on board, only to have it disallowed on the return trip (same arline). If you plan to carry anything on board, I recommend you pack it so it's protected well and have a tag on it in case you are forced to check it at the gate.

Have a great trip.

+1 to this.

When we went to Uruguay in Nov. I let my wife take my fly tying scissors because they measured under the 3" limit set by TSA. No problems outbound at all. Coming home, Uruguay's TSA seized them. I have a nice new pair of Dr. Slicks now.

Safe Travels.

PS: Did Foxgap check in on this? He's been traveling a good deal with equipment.

afishinado wrote:
I've found the only thing consistent about flying with fishing tackle (or anything else for that matter) is inconsistency from both the TSA and the airlines.

I've flown to a destination and was allowed to carry something on board, only to have it disallowed on the return trip (same arline). If you plan to carry anything on board, I recommend you pack it so it's protected well and have a tag on it in case you are forced to check it at the gate.

Have a great trip.

So, as afishinado so gracefully said, there is no consistency. I will call the airline, but I'm sure the answer I get may not translate to the front line TSA. This sucks!!! The terrorist won.....

I've flown with a 48"+ rod tube carried on no problems. It's a codura covered BassPro tube, fits (3) rods inside in their socks. My goto rod for out west is a 2pc, 8'/5wt cane, along with a 7.5'er and a multi piece plastic stick for the girlfriend to use. Snug fit, but they all slide into the tube and there's plenty of room for the tube in the overhead. Or if they hassle ya about the overhead I hear you can sometimes sweet talk the staff to stashing the rods in the first class closet...but I've never had an issue.

Back