Flying with Fly Fishing gear

tjsingle

Hey all-

I am traveling to Montana end of Sept for a trip and I wanted to bring at least two rods (5wt and 7wt). I've been debating on what the best way to do this would be and wanted to see what others have done in the past. I am flying American out of Philly. I planned on checking the majority of my stuff, with the exception of my rods.

From what I have researched, it seems like carrying on a fly rod is no big deal. Just strap the tube to a backpack and go. Any issues trying to carry on 2 tubes? I didn't really want to pack the rods in my checked bag.

Thanks,
Tom

I would suggest getting a tube big enough to put both rods in the same tube. You can take your backpack as your carry on and your rod tube will be your personal item.

I just flew to AK on Alaska Airlines. I have a tube big enough for 4 8 weight rods (2-9 footers and 2-10 footers). I keep my fly boxes and my reels and spare spools, leaders and my license in my backpack. That way if my check bag doesn’t show up at the final destination - I’m still fishing! Hope you have a great trip out west.

I've never had a real issue carrying a rod tube on, but I believe on two occasions I've had to entirely remove everything from the tube at TSA. It wasn't a huge issue, but it was a slight delay to consider.

One hack I've been using is to take all the fishing stuff out of my big sling, put it all in a Ziploc in my checked bag, and then use the sling as my carry-on backpack. It's one less thing in my checked bag while doing double duty as a travel bag (book, headphones, charger) and fishing bag once I arrive.

As mentioned above, I've never had anyone look twice at a backpack as the carry-on and rod tube as a personal item or even a real carry-on and second a small pack with the rod attached as a personal item. The attendants are too busy policing ridiculously huge rolly suitcase carry-ons to care about little bags. If you use one of those multi-rod travel cases, I can't see you getting hassled unless it's enormous.

I have carried a tube on flights many times without issue. Never 2, but I would think not a problem. You can take them off your pack and they fit anywhere in the overhead. Mine even fits perpendicular to the isle. Just don't forget them!!!

Duct tape. I check everything sharp. I have a waterproof boot bag , cause your boots will sometimes be damp on the way home plus they are heavy. It will hold a book, meds and jacket if you don’t mind them near your boots. Things that might be useful for plane travel.

Boot bag carry on , rods taped personal item.

Something to think about - what would be the most difficult thing to replace if your airline lost it? For me that's my chest pack. A rod or reel would be replaceable in 10 minutes at a fly shop. My chest pack with 300+ flies? not so much.

Whenever I have flown through Denver and points west I see a lot of rod tubes as carry-ons or personal items. Check regulations, but that seems like good advice from those above.

Duct tape. I check everything sharp. I have a waterproof boot bag , cause your boots will sometimes be damp on the way home plus they are heavy. It will hold a book, meds and jacket if you don’t mind them near your boots. Things that might be useful for plane travel.

Boot bag carry on , rods taped personal item.

I like the boot bag idea. I wasn't sure if duct taping rods would "fly" as a carry on 😉.

I usually carry my rod tube on a backpack. The backpack, as a whole, is my "personal item". I store my carry on luggage in the overhead bin. My reel, a change of fishing clothes, buff, etc are in the backpack, in case I have to check the carry on bag.
Most times I was able to shove the backpack and rod tube against the seatback in front of me. A couple times, on American Airlines, the stewardess made me put the rod tube in the overhead bin with my carry on.

Edit - I should add I've never had trouble with fishing gear in this configuration through TSA in Harrisburg, Baltimore, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami or Key West.

I went to Puerto Rico just a bit ago with a 4pc 11ft surf rod, airline didn't even blink. Travel in the states I always zip tie my rods to my pack

Last year my son and I flew to Montana. If the rods are 4-5 piece rods you should be fine with carryon. If you walk through the airports in Montana you can recognize the fishermen by the rod cases and smiles on their faces.

Back