Flying Ants

klingy

klingy

Some major flying ant swarms today around the house and at my son’s football practice. Looks like the rain really got them going. If you’ve got a fishable stream right now don’t forget the ants!

I hit a fall of them this evening on the Gunpowder Falls. Caught my biggest fish of the year for that stream on a wet ant -- a measured 16" brown. Fish rising everywhere.

I hit a fall of them this evening on the Gunpowder Falls. Caught my biggest fish of the year for that stream on a wet ant -- a measured 16" brown. Fish rising everywhere.
Nice to hear someone is having success on the Gunpowder! My most recent trips have definitely been hit and miss (mostly miss).

Nice to hear someone is having success on the Gunpowder! My most recent trips have definitely been hit and miss (mostly miss).
Fished Bunker Hill and caught a nice rainbow which is pretty rare. Purists may shudder but on a green weenie

Fished Bunker Hill and caught a nice rainbow which is pretty rare. Purists may shudder but on a green weenie
I've caught a lot of fish in the Gunpowder with green weenies over the year.

I do shudder at rainbows there, though.

Ha, can’t tell you how many potential “skunks” have been avoided by the green weenie!!

Now is the time to luck into the flying ant hatch - something to see if you're lucky.
Have some winged ants in September.

I encountered flying ants on Spring Creek this past Friday. Fish we're going apeshit in the section I fished. I saw some #18-#20 BWOs so started with those and picked up a few fish, but didn't really generate much interest. I watched the water for a few minutes and also checked the streamside vegetation. Had a slight breeze blow and then I saw what I was looking for. Switched to #20 CDC Flying Black Ant and picked off or broke off (lost two hogs) almost all of the risers in my vicinity. Action was fast and furious for about 90 mins before shutting off. If someone needs a pattern, let me know and I'll post up my two recipes. Be sure to also carry these in cinnamon as I have seen those in the past as well.

I fished the end of that hatch in Vermont. The bank of the creek was littered with dead ants. It was one of those days you can't forget. I hooked and landed seven in a row till my guide jinxed me . Never teel anyone how many fished they have hooked in a row NEVER!! GG

Back