Fly wallets and other light weight gear questions

B

Brownout

What's up guys,

I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good fly wallet. A certain style or brand you own? Crushing hackles is the only downside I see; I like to walk and bike around streams and the boxes and vests just weigh me down too much and feel clumsy.

Speaking of light weight gear, anyone ever use or know of light breathable waders that are simply pants that end at the waist, and don't have shoulder straps?

Along the same line of questioning, any fellow hikers out there who have refined a no vest approach to carrying equipment. I am thinking a shirt with some good pockets and a minimalist approach: forceps, tippet, fly wallet, floatant, and uhhh.....split shot.

For longer hikes, I am not going to be able to get away from a camel back for hydration. At any rate, any thoughts or recommendations about your own light weight gear set-up is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brownout

For the waders I can recommend the Cabelas Gold Medal waist high waders. They retail for 139.99. They also have a less expensive version. I use the Gold Medal waist highs for about 98% of my fishing. They've proven to be very durable. I'm on my 4th season and so far no leaks.

I was thinking about the fly wallet. Why not something like the Big Cliff Day's worth box. It will hold all you need and it's about the size of a box of cigarettes. I use one to hold a mix of dries, streamers and such on the foam and I store tiny stuff on the magnetic part. I probably have a 50 flies in that thing from size 8 to 20.

Thanks for the recos, great information, much appreciated. Those waders look ideal. 4 seasons you say, do you wear them a lot? Yeah, I guess the fly wallet I was interested in because of the novelty of it a bit. That is a great little box there, magnet piece is very cool.

Thanks again, good luck fishing.

If you need to only carry a few flies, pick-up one of those 6-8 compartment fly boxes with the flip-top lid; they're only like $2. I have a couple and they are perfect for brookie streams.

Tons of companies have waist high waders. I'm sure if you search the Cabela's site you'll find something you like.

When I hike (for brookies), I use a Cabela's fishing shirt ($20) and take a small fly box and a spool of tippet. I pre-treat my dries so they float, and I tie my nymphs with weight, so there is no need to carry shot. It's hard to go more light-weight than a shirt.
I leave the water in the car, but I can do about 12 miles in the summer before the dehydration starts to effecet me. usually a pack of crackers or "gummy" snacks helps with that too.

12 miles with no water? Do you do marathons for fun or something.

What type of weight are you tying into your flies? You say brookie streams, so I am imagining they are not too deep. I am noticing fish get so interested in my split shot that they are neglecting my nymphs, haha.

Thanks for the info Mkern

I usually pretty wooped after 12 miles, but I only do that a couple times per year; most trips are about 6-8 miles.

I just use bead heads and lead wire wraps. Not all of the streams are real shallow, plus I mostly fish the deep pockets/pools. I try and control my fly with leader tention. This keeps them off the bottom and allows me to feel all the bumps.

BTW, good boots for hiking are worth their weight in gold. This coming from an extremely cheap guy.

I have some Vasques right now. They are ok, but they don't hug my feet too well. I had Salomons and they were very comfortable, but far too heavy for distance.

Thinking a boot/sneaker hybrid might be the answer, but they generally have poor heal protection for wading

http://www.salomonsports.com/us/#/footwear/footwear/hiking/exit-peak-mid-gtx

Well, as far as the waders, Orvis used to make the silver label in a waste high. I also like they're new chest highs, which is what I have right now. As opposed to being a chest high that converts to a waste high, they're a waste high that converts to a chest high. Much easier to wear as a waste high wader than anything else I've owned. Jury is still out on durability, I'm only a few months into this pair.

For boxes, I like the chest boxes like Richardson and Downs. My Richardson is very light and holds tons of flies, and eliminates the need for a vest or pockets of any type. Nippers and forceps go on zingers attached to the strap. Just need a small belt pouch to hold tippet, shot, and keys, and thats it. I do drive, bike, etc. while wearing it, no problem whatsoever, you don't even know its there.

Thanks pcray, I'll look into those suggestions, much appreicated.

Rip some lip.

Back