Fly Tying

D

Daniel45

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could give me some help. I buy all my flies now. I just got into fly fishing this past year and love it. I would like to start tying some flies but never done it. I don't know if someone could help me on here or not. I would be willing to pay for someone's help. Thank you all in advance for your help

Daniel

Many fly shops do free fly tying classes during the winter. Where are you from? There may be some not to far from you.

^^^ what he said^^^^ IF you are close I would be glad to help. I even have some tools, hairs feathers etc I would be glad to give you to get you started.

I am from Lewistown Pa. About thirty mile from state college. I know TCO did one last year. It filled up quick. I have a table so far. Need a vice and some materials and some help lol. I fish a lot on Kish Creek and Spring Creek and Penns Creek as well. I will check with some local shops. Thanks alot

Fly Fisher's Paradise usually does a few on Saturday mornings during the winter, but you better call. I know they fill up fast. Steve is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge, he has always been able to help me out when I had questions on tying techniques or just different materials. I miss living ten minutes away from the 'Paradise'

I will check with him. Thanks for the info.

In the meantime you can always check out some YouTube videos on fly tying. Tightlinevideos is one that I subscribed to that has lots of great instruction, techniques, tips, and patterns. Here's the link

https://m.youtube.com/user/tightlinevideo

It's not rocket science, the learning curve is darn near straight, youtube and PAFF and the like have taken all the mystery out of it. Jump right in and with a little practice you will be tying flies quicker then a blink of the eye. Jump in and enjoy.

"Tightlinevideos is one that I subscribed to that has lots of great instruction, techniques, tips, and patterns."

^This!

And check out Hans Weilenmann. His patterns are a little different, but his technique is silky smooth.

And check out Hans Weilenmann. His patterns are a little different, but his technique is silky smooth.

Tyger that is a little funny! Silky smooth LOL.

But true, Hans is a outstanding tier.

GenCon

Once you get rolling, search Davie McPhail on YouTube. He ties some really slick patterns.

Does anyone know if there are fly tying classes somewhere in western pa, close to Greensburg or Latrobe? I also just started last year, and I've been looking to start tying myself

There is a Gander mountain in Greensburg, not sure if they offer classes. I've been there once or twice and the fly tying section is limited. Not sure if there is a shop or anything in Latrobe. I'm sure other more knowledgeable people will chime in.
You tube is always your friend, as well as trial and error and a sharp razor blade. I've been down that road.

I don't think they do offer classes, I've looked into them. There is also an Orvis shop in Ligonier, but I don't think they do there either. The guy in the Orvis shop is always rude to me too because I'm a beginner

It's a little bit of a drive, but the Orvis store in Pittsburgh offers free fly tying classes every Saturday beginning Jan17th thru Feb 28th.

http://www.orvis.com/s/pittsburgh-pennsylvania-orvis-retail-store/13116?dir_id=41775&group_id=41968

fishingn00b101 wrote:
I don't think they do offer classes, I've looked into them. There is also an Orvis shop in Ligonier, but I don't think they do there either. The guy in the Orvis shop is always rude to me too because I'm a beginner

Ken sink chapter of TU out of Indiana has a class coming up soon. Not sure of the details but call or stop and talk to woody at Indiana angler he teaches the class and would have the info. Its held at a church in Indiana on 4 or 5 Saturdays. Not too far from you. If your looking for a good flyshop Indiana angler is the best place around our area.

Check your local TU Chapter or fly fishing club. I got into tying when I joined White Clay Fly Fishers in SE PA many years ago, The members provided a vise and a lot of advice.

Daniel .. I bought a bunch of books but found the internet to be my best tutor considering I don't spend as much time tying as many of our posters do. Many have been discussed but let me recommend one of PAFF own ... TCTrout

His two minute tying tutorials are basic patterns that catch fish. Enjoy following his channel

TCTrout Two Minute Fly Tying

Ping me with a PM, I can probably help you.

Back