Fly Tying Walt's Worm

gaeronf

gaeronf

Some of you guys know how to tie this simple bug, but some don't. But, Here is a super simple pattern, that almost anyone can tie. It utilizes some pretty basic concepts like starting the thread, dubbing, and whip finishing. A great pattern to learn on. And, even better, if you're not a beginner, this is a super simple fly that is super effective! You definitely need a row or two devoted to Walt's worms. This fly was developed by Walt Young, in April of 1984. It was originally designed to be a Cranefly Larva, but some people debate what fish take it as. This fly takes only 3 materials, including the thread. This fly also won't cost $50 in materials to make, like some of the other flies that aren't even as effective!
Recipe
Hook-Heavy 1x Long Nymph Hook, Barbless
Thread-Tan thread, preferably heavy thread, to help build up the underbody
Weight-Lead wire, liberally wrapped on the hook
Body-Light Hare's Ear Dubbing, I mix a little pinch of UV fibers in
Here's the finished fly, but if you want the full step by step and report, click here. I don't want to hog up all the badnwidth, or whatever you tech-guys call it!
DSCN3031b.jpg

I like a pinch of fox squirrel guard hairs in the mix. I occasionally tie them with hare's ear ice dub, but usually with hareline natural hare's ear. In all of my experimentation, I have tended to favor gray over tan shades in walts worms.

It's a super effective fly, and is very simple. Nice fly.

Violent touch dubbing? No more eggnog for you. :lol:

Merry Christmas, little buddy.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Violent touch dubbing? No more eggnog for you. :lol:

Merry Christmas, little buddy.

Haha! I couldn't figure out how else to explain it! Merry Christmas Ed! And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone!

I want to get me some of those UV fibers so I can add "violence" to my flies too. LOL

Seriosuly, where do you guys get your UV fibers?

I use UV Pearl Ice Dub and just mix it with any dubbings I want UVinated. LOL. Hope that helps!

Too cool, just mentioned last night that I need to tie some these for a trip to State College this Friday!! Thanks for posting!!

JH

walt's worm is dynamite on spring creek. Walts worm and a pink san juan make up my first round of attack for spring creek. I like how you tied it uniformly. I always had more success with a uniform skinny body over the common oval shape.

I tie natural hare's hair 3/4 of the way up the hook and brown ice dubbing for a head and it is awesome. I found a caddis in some water cress recently and remembered why that fly is so awesome. Dub one in white(dub it thick) and you have a crane fly larva. I'll go so far as to say a fly in this style will compete with any mayfly nymph.

I have been dubbing a pattern white or light cream 3/4 of the way up with a wrap of copper wire. Then fox squirrel the rest. This has really been producing for me.

Try using orange thread underbody and rib with uv body quill and make a nice orange head. I like to touch dub mine and brush out the guard hairs for a spiky look.

Very nice tie though. Well done.

what size's our u guys tying them up in

What about adding a bead head? Or is keeping it simple better?

I have. I usually just use lead. I tie some big ones as anchor flies, and will add a tungsten bead.

I always use lead wraps and I put beads on the big ones as well sizes 12 and bigger.

I do the standard walts worm. hares ear plus #1 and lead wraps. I use them in sizes 12-16. I also like to ruff them up.

Fur bugs are great, and my favorite is the muskrat fur bug, just a clump of muskrat dubbed on a hook, works great.

mcwillja wrote:
Try using orange thread underbody and rib with uv body quill and make a nice orange head. I like to touch dub mine and brush out the guard hairs for a spiky look.

Very nice tie though. Well done.

I have seen this pattern somewhere. Loren Williams maybe?

Yeah lorens is a sexy walts worm with bead. I like to tie with and without a bead.

Back