Fly tying vice

salmo

salmo

I’m in the market for a new vice. I’m not particularly skilled and don’t need a lot of bells and whistles. I need a good set of jaws and a rotary function. Hoping to spend under $125.

Any suggestions? If anyone has a vice to sell, let me know.

As always, thanks for the valuable advice.

I'd be pretty tempted to get this as I've had good luck with Griffin's:

Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose Vise

The only caveat is that the vise jaws are thumbscrew tightened, not cam lever operated. Personally, I do not find this to be a detriment.

The Griffin Odyssey Spiders are even less expensive, even the cam lever versions. The rotary feature on these is rudimentary but completely functional.

If you add $25 to your budget you open up a lot more options.

Spend 150.00 and get a Peak. great vice for the money.

My main vise is the one Kev is talking about. At first, the thing with the thumbscrews can be a little fussy sometimes when you are making significant hook size changes but it isn't any big deal especially once you've re-paralled the jaw pieces a couple times and learned the process.

And it is (IMO) a very good vise. I mean, rotary and all that. Although I'm so set in my ways that I think I've only used the rotary function twice in a dozen years or so. Easier to stand on my head if I need a different perspective... But like I say, that's about me, not the vise.

I think anything from the Griffin product line will make you happy..

Does anyone have a used vice to sell?

My brother is selling a peak non rotary with a bobbin cradle let me ask him his price and get back to you

Did your brother ever sell this vise.... whats his offer?

Thank you,

Joe

Back