Fly Tying Newbie

O

oreome322

Found this forum today ;-) Looking forward to reviewing it for tips and tricks. I'm not sure why it took so long for me to get into tying my own flies, but it's added such a pleasurable dimension to fishing! I normally hit the Erie tribs and venture to Pulaski, NY for salmon in October. I've been having a ton of fun learning to tie and attached some pics of stuff I've been working on... keep in mind.. i'm a newbie :)
My trout wall --missing 1 species... i'm working on it :)

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 10
  • salmon.jpg
    salmon.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_23544989776457.jpeg
    IMG_23544989776457.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
  • ft1.jpg
    ft1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3
  • ft2.jpg
    ft2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 3
  • ft3.jpg
    ft3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 2
it's quite an enjoyable little hobby...but then again it's also a hell of a money pit...keep at it, though, it's well worth it.

and reviewing your flies, the only little criticism I can give is that your hackles look a little too long, which may interfere with hook-ups, but aside from that they look very good, a lot better than mine did for the first year or so.

OMG a lightning trout!! Welcome.

Newbie or not, your crystal meth and prince nymphs look really nice. On the woolly bugger use a smaller hackle and go with fewer wraps of hackle.

thanks for the suggestions guys! much appreciated!!!!

I'll most definitely work on the hackle --I always have lots of trouble with it... going to scope out a few tutorials on it... :)

thanks for the help guys!!!!!

Welcome to the forum and tying as well. You're going to spend a pile of money if it grabs hold of you... Judging by you're wall "o" carnage I'm betting it will. :-D

that salmon is very excited to see you.
also check out production fly tying by a.k best. lots of great tips for any level fly tyer.

I'd also add counter wrapping the peacock with a ribbing for durability. Nice wall I like it!!

I got the tying bug earlier this year and very much enjoy tying. Those are some very nice catches you got there. I personally do not find tying flies overly expensive since I have never bought a fly since I began fly fishing. I am also a anti-hoarder in that I only tie flies that I need for my fishing trips not so I can have 50 boxes stuffed with flies. I do find it enjoyable to where I could stuff 50 boxes with flies but my money has other priorities right now. Thanks for posting the bugger video I learned something from it that I had not seen in other videos.

I do find it enjoyable to where I could stuff 50 boxes with flies but my money has other priorities right now.

THERE IS NO OTHER PRIORITY !

Money pit? Maybe at first, and maybe if you want every color of every material (which i do....). However, it struck me the other day that I don't even remember how I would buy flies beforehand, and to have as many different kinds as I do now wouldn't be possible at $3.50 a fly.

It's a great hobby. I was an aspiring tattooer that completely turned my back on the craft for fly tying once I gained momentum with it. It's all I want to do in my free time if I'm not fishing, and if I don't have anything size 20 or smaller on deck, haha.

Lets see, career, kids, college, weddings (I have daughters), mortgage, retirement, wife needs a new car, I need a new truck, my kitchen and one bathroom are outdated, stripers, flounder, sea bass, shad, and actually learning how to fly fish all trump tying flies at the present time.

Fortunately I believe in the simple approach of learning to fish flies that fall in general categories to be more cost effective, efficient and productive then having and learning to fish every size or niche fly imaginable. Keep it simple and the hobby of fly tying will pay for itself and help shorten the bad weather days that keep us off the water. Easier said then done for sure.

Back