fly tying materials suggestions

daman1277

daman1277

Well the gf wants to go to Michael's craft store tonight so I figured I'd get some tying materials like feathers, dye, beads and such. Any suggestions?

id watch getting feathers from micheals unless its marabou or like dyed phesant tail peacock swords and ostrich but i wouldnt get any for hackling maybe flies like wooly buggers and the like check for thin stretch magic sheets of foam rabbit skins! small diameter colored wire (aluminum or copper or it will rust) ooh i was told fabric fusion works well as an epoxy wing case theres tons of stuff there if your going to venture into the world of glass beads take a few hooks and make sure they fit first or get a bead reamer

They have foam sheets in different thicknesses and lots of colors.

You could always grab Pom Poms for steelies:)

Already got 700 pompoms in 8 colors and 3 sizes

that is the only store that i found a latch pick used to make shorb loops on a furled leader...if you are into that.

if not i used to find flashy/sparkly synthetic material there.

Craft stores like "Michaels" have a wealth of tying materials and the cost is usually much lower and the amount much greater than shops or mail order , the foam sheet suggestion is right on the money , lots of colors to choose from , try white and then buy some Sharpies and you can make any color you choose , spots and bi-color and vermiculations etc. I can always find something worthwhile at a craft store. Go along it's worth the trip.

stick with the strung marabou. The stuff you get at the craft stores is too much of a hassle. Foam is good. If you get lucky you may find some chenille. glass beads, waterproof markers to make on stream changes to flies, plastic storage for hooks, beads, materials, thread organizing board, the list goes on and on.

Organza for spinner wings. You can get 3 feet of the stuff for what you'd pay for a small patch of it in a fly shop.

They sell these metal containers about the size of a snuff can with a clear plastic window on one side , cheap , great fly boxes or display boxes for a shop.

Back