Fly Tying Lamp

salmo

salmo

I have been using a two bulb (fluorescent and incandescent bulb) architects lamp for 25 years. The circular bulb has given up the ghost and I can’t figure out how to remove it to replace it. Can anyone recommend a new lamp? I’m not interested in battery operated or transportability. I’m older with fading eyes so I need something really bright.

I know I can rely on someone for advice here.

I used to go to a craft store and pick up whatever lamp that was on sale. Worked OK for a long time.

Since my eyes are going I recently got a Yoctosun magnifier with a rechargeable LED lamp. The combination of the magnifier and LED light has really helped me see to tie better (todays LED light are really bright). What took getting used to is the magnifier doesn't have much depth of field. Fine when tying, but often need to take them off to pick something off my desk or out of a drawer. No big deal though

I'm probably around your age, Salmo. I use a three light set up that works pretty well for me. I have one of those Wal-Mart LED tube lights suspended from the ceiling. Then I have the old cheapo Cabela's magnifier/60 watt incandescent combo that I look through. Then finally, I have an Ottlite LED gooseneck-type table lamp aimed at my vise jaws. Depending on your needs, your setup and your budget, I think a good system could be had using all Ottlite stuff. It's a pretty good name in craft/hobby lighting and any decent size Joann's Fabrics will have a lot of the Ottlite on hand retail so you can look at it. Here's what they carry in Ottlite:

Good Luck!

I use an Ottlite bought from the craft store too.
Works great

Third the Ottlite. I’ve had one for years now after a suggestion on this forum.

Watch for coupons at Joanne, Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Sometimes they don't exclude the lights, which could be a huge savings. I have 2 Ott Lights set at 45 degree angles over my vise. Lights up like downtown Manhattan!

Are they high enough to be out or the way?

Thanks I’ll look for the lamps

Back