Fly Tying Kits?

I'm pretty sure that's not a true rotary vise. However, it does turn to give you a 360 degree view of the fly.

I think rotary is overrated and I thought I had to have one and now I rarely if ever use that function. On the flip side, I have tied enough to know (or at least have a realy good idea of) what the other side of my looks like.
I think learning to control the materials is a way more practical/functional tying skill than using a rotary function is.

I can see the advantages when applying a dubbing loop, but for things like palmering chenelle for buggers it's not needed and for me fast to palmer than rotate the vise.

MKern wrote:
I think rotary is overrated and I thought I had to have one and now I rarely if ever use that function.

I never use it except to look at all sides, and occasionally to put something on at an awkward angle. So, it was a no brainer to jump to a Regal, as I preferred the no fuss hook setting to twiddling screws or cams.

That said, many vises still turn to allow you to see all aspects of the fly. That's good enough for me.

Regals resale for practically equal value of a new one. The vice in the stockard kit is a knock off of a regal.

I have been tying on a regal for years with zero problems. Its my opinion that people who have hooks "pop" dont know how to place the hook in the jaws. Its not necessary to use the cut groove. I hardly ever use it.

With large hooks place the hook as far back in the jaws as possible. I have no problem tying on 2/0 hooks with standard jaws.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Its my opinion that people who have hooks "pop" dont know how to place the hook in the jaws.

Not so (in my case, anyway).

http://regalvise.com/hook_placement.html

The vice in the stockard kit is a knock off of a regal.

Not true.

"Included are a J. Stockard Master Tyer vise..."

J. Stockard Master Tyer vise

My Regal holds larger hooks very well, but the biggest I typically tie on is a size 2. It's the small stuff, like 18's to 22's that it had a problem with. Those hooks are at the lower end of the standard jaw's range (according to Regal).

When the jaws spit a hook, they slam shut with a clunk. This can result in chipped jaws, as happened to mine.

Before finally splurging on the real thing, I used a regal knock off for about 10 years. And it worked OK.
However the metal that it was made from wasn't of the highest quality, and the jaws would get scratched up a bit - causing it to lose some holding power. So, I would take them apart and file them smooth again. Had to do it about once a year

seriously though, dropping $180 plus another $25 for misc hardware plus another $20 for bare minimum materials or more on something you're not sure if you care about is stupid.

don't be stupid. $26 to dip your toes in is a fine idea. take the money you saved to the strip club. the memories will last a lifetime. or, til the next morning. pregame at the bar, beer is cheaper there.

I was one of the suckers who purchased a kit many years ago....I do not use any of that material.....the only thing I still have from the kit that I use is the vice. I too just started tying again....for real this time. I all new tools, but still use the same vice. It works okay, but would love to upgrade to something else. The tool kit that was posted seem like the way to go. You can then eventually upgrade down the road when you know what you want.

My Regal holds larger hooks very well, but the biggest I typically tie on is a size 2. It's the small stuff, like 18's to 22's that it had a problem with. Those hooks are at the lower end of the standard jaw's range (according to Regal). When the jaws spit a hook, they slam shut with a clunk. This can result in chipped jaws, as happened to mine.

Not true. The standard jaw goes well beyond what regal will say it can do. I think your the one who drank the anti-regal cool aid.
Its not rocket science. Take a look.
P9230005.jpg

Size 28 in standard jaws. Perhaps a pair of glasses would help you with better hook placement.

seriously though, dropping $180 plus another $25 for misc hardware plus another $20 for bare minimum materials or more on something you're not sure if you care about is stupid. don't be stupid. $26 to dip your toes in is a fine idea. take the money you saved to the strip club. the memories will last a lifetime. or, til the next morning. pregame at the bar, beer is cheaper there.

Seriously????Stupid???? A vice your able to resell and its returnable. Your not gonna get your money back from the bar or from strippers.

Sure it is stupid, and agree with Gfen 100%. Dip your toes, then if you enjoy it jump in. The resale value of a Regal might be close to the original price, however then you have to try to sell it. That is a hassle.

BigSlackwater,
the Wapsi kit is great for getting your feet wet, as for tools, buy the best you can afford, if i may concur, use someone elses backup for awhile see if you really want to tie flies before you decide to get your own stuff.
if you do decide to tie flies:
IMHO and I tied for four shops at the same time for 5 years, still tie for past clients and also friends and family.
If you prefer a lot of wooly buggers and catskill dries a rotary may be what you'd like,if so hands down the folks who set the bar and originally manufactured their vice right here in Pennsylvania,
A Renzetti Traveller with cam jaws also if you want they have a midge cam jaw too as well as backup plates,a Ausable Crank..1 turn of the handle=2 revolutions of the head,but as you see these will be extra ,what other company can tout such an array of accoutrements? Also this vice ties from #28...up to 4/0 all on one set of jaws.
if you prefer stationary do your self a favor get a HMH, one particular model i can highly reccomend is the HMH Spartan, ,with this vice and the purchase of the two extra jaws beside the one that comes with it you can also tie most flies in a size range as follows:
Micro Jaw:#32-#18
Omni Jaw:#20-#2/0 this jaw comes with the vice
Magnum Jaw:#10-6/0
These two vices hands down are considered top shelf in their respective catagories as for materials, again where it pertains to feathers buy the best you can afford,Whiting/Hoffman,Metz,Keogh are dry fly favorites .Try to get your chinese rooster on a cape,also saddles if you can find them better yet try and get this in person take a friend along that is experienced in tying to help show you what to look for in good quality materials,this applies to the rest of the materials you may acquire as well.anyhow you have any questions PM me ill be glad to help.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

JohnnyUtah wrote:
My Regal holds larger hooks very well, but the biggest I typically tie on is a size 2. It's the small stuff, like 18's to 22's that it had a problem with. Those hooks are at the lower end of the standard jaw's range (according to Regal). When the jaws spit a hook, they slam shut with a clunk. This can result in chipped jaws, as happened to mine.

Not true. The standard jaw goes well beyond what regal will say it can do. I think your the one who drank the anti-regal cool aid.
Its not rocket science. Take a look.
P9230005.jpg

Size 28 in standard jaws. Perhaps a pair of glasses would help you with better hook placement.

Let me see if I understand you correctly:

First - I don't know how to put a hook in a vise. Yeah, whatever.

Second - I'm stupid, or at least not a rocket scientist. I'll buy that.

Third - I'm lying about the issues with my Regal because I don't like Regals, and Regal is lying about their recommended hook ranges for the vises they make. It's a recommendation - not an absolute. My Regal spits the occasional hook, and they've been placed in the jaws correctly (according to Regal's diagrams) when it happens.

Fourth - I'm blind. Nice try, but no.

That's an awful lot of insults for someone that's been a member here for less than a month.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Seriously????Stupid???? A vice your able to resell and its returnable. Your not gonna get your money back from the bar or from strippers.

You might if you play your cards right.

Let me see if I understand you correctly: First - I don't know how to put a hook in a vise. Yeah, whatever. Second - I'm stupid, or at least not a rocket scientist. I'll buy that. Third - I'm lying about the issues with my Regal because I don't like Regals, and Regal is lying about their recommended hook ranges for the vises they make. It's a recommendation - not an absolute. My Regal spits the occasional hook, and they've been placed in the jaws correctly (according to Regal's diagrams) when it happens. Fourth - I'm blind. Nice try, but no. That's an awful lot of insults for someone that's been a member here for less than a month.

Boy your a pretty serious fellow. My apologies if you found my words and photographs to be offensive.

If people always rely on instruction then there would be no innovation.

No problem - I've been called worse.

Just don't call me late for supper. :-D

We'll have something to laugh about when we celebrate over some cold ones and a good meal at Riverwalck's after the tying jam.

I'm really looking forward to sharing and learning new tying tricks and techniques. Innovation is always a good thing in my book.

H.A.

I've been lurking for a few. But this post brought me out. LOL

Anybody like any other brands of fly tying vises ? Or is Regal the only fly tying vise we should be all passionate about for the money?

Everyone has an opinion based on their own experience and everyone on here is giving their opinion relating their experiences to help others. Ed just gave his honest opinion. Glad you guys agreed to disagree.

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah wrote:
I've been lurking for a few. But this post brought me out. LOL

Anybody like any other brands of fly tying vises ? Or is Regal the only fly tying vise we should be all passionate about for the money?

I own both a Regal and a Renzetti Traveler. Like Ed wrote above, I have and still have a problem with it launching hooks. I use the Regal in my travel tying kit and brought it to the Jam. Ask Fredrick if it launches hooks! I ask everyone in the room to wear glasses when I'm tying with that vise!....lol. With that being said, there are a whole bunch of pro fly tyers that use Regals exclusively and tie many 1000's of flies with them.

I've tied with my Renzetti Traveler for quite a long time. It works as well today as it did when I bought it.

Many guys that own a rotary vise do not use the rotary feature, but I do. I find in works very well for palmering hackle, ribbing, winding biots, quill bodies as well as chenille or thread bodies. Also, it really works for dubbing a fly body. It allows you to dub in one step using a single long noodle or rope of dubbing and rotating the vise to apply it. You see the body 360* when applying dubbing with a rotary. Also, when dubbing without a rotary vise by rotating your hand around the vise, you are forced to use a shorter noodle to allow clearance, and thus need to apply dubbing a second or third time to finish the body.

Most of all, I like using the bobbin cradle to keep the bobbin out of the way when working on the fly.

Hey different strokes. Both the Regal and Renzetti are quality pieces.

Afishinado:

Thanks for your review and insight on those vises. Very Helpful

Have you ever used a Peak or a Dyna-King? Also why don't i hear that much about people raving about their HMH vises. All i hear people talk and rave about is the darn Regal vise. Guessing most of them people who use these Regal vises are getting some type of pro deal on them, That's why they all just rave all about them?

Or is the quality of the Regal vise that good? I'm still confused

Also, Why don't i ever hear people raving about the Nor-vise or the Swiss Vise? I 'm now wondering if most of these people who do purchase them ever tie flies on them. Or are these people the ones who just have money to spend and use the darn thing only a few times a year?

Come on people, Speak up about your fly tying vise. Good Or Bad!!!
I like to hear what you think of your vise.

Oooops. I should bring this thread back on topic . I like the Orvis Fly Tying Kit or the Umpqua deluxe kit. I think they are great for people who have no clue on where to start. At least it gets them headed in the right direction. Then they can always purchase materials, tools, and a better vise down the road.

Thanks....Mr. Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah man.

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah wrote:
some type of pro deal on them, That's why they all just rave all about them?

I assure you, if I were paid or otherwise compensated for my choice, I would state so. Nothing irks me more than people who don't do so. You will learn who they are soon enough.

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah wrote:
Come on people, Speak up about your fly tying vise. Good Or Bad!!!
I like to hear what you think of your vise.

I had a Cabela's Master Vise. It was crap. I bought a Griffith Odyessy Spider because it was reasonably priced and rotory. It was annoying to use and rotary was pointless. I bought a Regal. I squeeze, place, and tie. Down to 26. Never spit a hook, yet. Its convienent, well built, and simple to use. There was a time when I tied more than twice a year. Not sure I can say that anymore.

Part of the reason I think people are so vocal about Regals is there's nothing else like it, except a $40 Indian-made knock-off. FWIW, if I had a $40 Indian-made knock-off, I'd be very vocal about it.

If Regal would like to give me a pro deal, I would take it. I assure you, I am Pro Deal Worthy, although I don't need one from Regal coz I already own one. I could use the bronze base though, that would look pretty.

Zip - I tied my first fly in 1972, on a Thompson hand me down from my Uncle. I tied a lot of flies on that vise, and it served me well until my Uncle passed away. I was given his Regal at that point.

I used the Regal off and on with the Thompson until about ten years ago, when I bought my Renzetti Traveler. I think it was the first cam jawed one in the Valley, and I took to full rotary tying with delight. It holds hooks very securely - never popped a hook out, and never had one slip in the jaws. It was responsible for the single largest improvement in my tying experience. While I did tie commercially for a few years, I no longer do so. My Renzetti has seen many thousands of hooks in it's jaws, and it shows no sign of wear at all.

I now own the Regal, the Renzetti, an HMH Pro, and a Dynaking Kingfisher. None of them are perfect. I've discussed my problems with the Regal, so I won't go through that again. My Thompson was rugged, but it didn't hold hooks well if I wasn't very careful about adjustments.

I bought the Renzetti to replace the Regal, since I wasn't the original owner of the Regal (no warranty), and a new head cost almost as much as my Renzetti did. I won't get rid of the Regal due to sentimental value.

The Renzetti isn't perfect either. Despite It's name, it doesn't travel well. It takes some fiddling to get the rotary tension set up the way I like it, and it's not hard to bump it, and lose the adjustment when you cart it around. It works perfectly as my bench vise though. So far, I've replaced the o-ring on the jaws once - it cost me 19 cents at Home Depot for the o-ring.

I bought the HMH to use as a travel vise, since I'd given my Thompson, and a couple of cheap vises away to people I taught tying to. The HMH is really nice - the jaws take about 10 seconds to replace - mine came with the omni jaw, and the midge jaws. It is a bit more sensitive to adjustments than the Renzetti. If not adjusted properly, hooks slip in the jaws. The Renzetti jaws are easy and quick to adjust - as quick and easy as the Regal. The Regal uses the same jaw pressure on every hook - from tiny to huge - and that isn't necessary. The Renzetti takes very little pressure from the cam lever to hold securely. I just use one finger to tighten the cam lever. The HMH jaws are guaranteed for life, and they're under $40 for a new set. The HMH gives unequalled access to the rear of a hook, and is my choice for a non-true rotary vise. It does have one annoying habit, though - it tends to lose adjustment after tying about a dozen hooks of the same size. No big deal, as it takes 2 seconds to readjust.

I bought my Dynaking to use as a travel vise, simply because of it's small size, and lighter weight than my HMH. There's two things I don't like about it though. It's got a short barrel, and bobbins hit the stem when you spin them. Nature of the beast. The jaws are kind of crude, and they're soft. They deform quickly if you aren't careful about adjustment. The jaws are the same as the Barracuda jaws, and I expected better. Dynaking only guarantees their jaws for two years. A couple of my friends tie commercially on Dynakings, and they say the same thing about the jaws. New jaws are under $40, so it's not that big of a deal. Dynaking will also resurface them, I think once, for free.

So there you have it - my journey for the perfect vise. None of them are perfect FOR ME, but the Renzetti is closest. I use the true-rotary feature all the time, and it feels awkward to tie on my other vises because of that. They all rotate, but only the Renzetti is true, or full rotary. There's other true-rotary vises on the market, but Renzetti was the first.

H.A.

Back