Fly Tying Kit

dreamsofstreams

dreamsofstreams

Don't know if this belongs under Tying or Beginner, but I'm looking for a "beginner" tying kit.

I used to tie with my Grandpa when I was a kid, and have a general idea what I'm doing, but his setup went to my uncle when he passed away.

It's been many many years since I've tied my own flies and I'd like to get back into it as I'm getting cabin fever and it's only the beginning of January. I'm looking for some recommendations on a tying kit with a decent vise and spool. Not so concerned with the tying materials that come with it as I can supplement as needed. I have the time to dabble currently, but don't want to invest $200-$300 incase it doesn't stick.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Buy a selection of simple tools, a simple vise, and a few materials to tie your favourite flies.

If you like it, add. If you don't, not much lost.

The tools that come with ktis is servicable, but you will either not get things you'll want, or you'll get stuff you won't need. The materials could be nicer, though.

talking from experience I would not buy a tying kit. I did when I first started out and I was satisfied with the tools at the time but even I knew the materials were not up to par by any means. I do have the vice but I replaced everything that came with it within a year. After two years I have a different vice. I purchased a atlas anvil rotary for 150.00. I wish I would have bought a good vice and a decent set of tools(scissors,hackle pliers,bobbins etc.) then start simple flies. You can tie a lot of different nymph patterns with a few materials. Build up material as you go. this is only my opinion from my experience. I am sure you will get more responses the ppl on here are very helpful and have lots of experience.

Some of the tools in a kit stink, and the materials suck and are in limited quanity.

My advise,
Think of 10-12 patterns that you use the most often and want to tie. Find material list for them and buy just those materials.
Buy a $15 vice and abotu $25 worth of tools.
The materials won't be that much. Well, unless you are like me and have to have 2 of every color; then it can get pricy.

Back