fly tying for beginners

troutbumm wrote:
JayL - you'd mentioned tying a hairs ear using dubbing instead of a mask. I've always tied this from a mask as well, but wondered, if you don't have a mask and are using dubbing, what does one use for tail material? I couldn't picture using PT fibers or hackle fibers. I tie mine a bit heavy and bushy. Just checking and always wondered.

Usually a little bit of fox squirrel or some guard hairs from a mask. I usually forgo the packaged dubbing unless I am using something like hare's ear ice dub.

fisherboy3 wrote:
thanks for all the inputs guys. anyone recomend head cement?is it necessary?

Not always necessary, especially if you use a whip finish. I usually use it because I think it makes the fly look better.

Sally Hansen's hard as nails works great. You can cut off most of the bristles on the built in brush, or cut them all off, heat up a pin (with the head cut off) with a lighter, and insert it up the end of the brush shaft. I keep two bottles of it on my bench - one with the needle, and one with the full size brush for larger applications.

You can often find it at the dollar store. Be sure to get the clear color.

Attachments

• sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 4
anybody know the best dubbing assortment i should get?

If you mean a packaged dubbing assortment, I have found them to be of little value. Too many colors I don't use. I think you are better off buying packages individually.

I agree with jdaddy. I would purchase individual packages of dubbing. That's what I did when I first started tying.

WildTigerTrout, YOU need to get to the vise NOW! I see a fishing trip for you on the horizon!!! HA, HA, HA...

And that's not an abbreviation for Heritage Angler, you know...

Re copper wire. I take wire strippers to the power cord of a small appliance that has died. Spools are cheap but this is free and easier to handle than spools where the wire by some sorcery finds a way to unravel and get kinked.

UTC wire spools and some others can accept a bobbin. Craft store wire spools are not suited for use with a bobbin--at least the ones I have tried, so ymmv.

when I first started to tie I was having trouble with the thread breaking I thought it was the bobbin but was told it was being cut by the hook. I didnt believe it till I slowed down the bobbin winding and did find out it was being cut by the hook point. I am not saying thats your case but its something to check out. Also Sandfly has a very good boxed asst of wet fly dubbing with a variety of perfectly dyed dubbing for what works well in Pa. streams

Back