Fly Tying Classes/Learning the Basics?

For hackle capes I look for a good number of feathers across a wide size range; good barb count with uniform barb size; stiff barbs; not a lot of webbing; consistent coloration; relatively long, strong stems; the cape smells and looks clean; etc. The feathers must look durable.

The best bang for the buck in my opinion is the Whiting Pro grade. It’s certainly not the "best" cape out there but for $22 - $30 (depending on color) you get a really good cape. The Whiting Bronze series is definitely better but expect to pay $45 - $60 depending on color. Obviously the Silver and Gold are better but are they worth $75 - $100 per cape?

A really good site for photos and tutorials of some good patterns is;
www.troutflies.com Check 'er out.

When you start, focus on a few patterns you really use. Everyone says that you should start tying nymphs, and these are easier and more affordable. But if you use a LOT of Adams or Royal Coachmans, I would learn these as well.

As far as materials, I would get sized hackles. That is, the Whiting 100's pack or Metz does something just like it. That way, you are buying just what you need to use. One day you will know and tye enough patterns to use up a whole cape, but it could be years and years. In the mean time, don't spend money on "scrap loss"

Some cheap and easy patterns for beginning fly tyers that really work:
The Usual (in all kinds of colors besides the traditional, i.e. rusty spinner is awesome, just changed the body to a dubbed rusty spinner color)
Ants (in all sizes)
Beetles (in all sizes and many colors)
Griffith's Gnats
Mickey Finns
Wooleybuggers
Pheasant Tails
Zug bugs
Well, the list goes on. And it's the simplest patterns that catch the most.

One tip for beginning fly tyer. Start your thread and pull on it until it breaks. Get a feel for how hard you can pull before it snaps. You should be tying just short of that pressure. Tight! Really tight! The tighter your flies, and the sparser you tie them the more fish you will catch with them and the longer they will last. The sparse thing is just as important. A fly can float with three winds of hackles, and if you tye a fly with three winds you'll catch twice as many fish as one with six. Light can pass through the sparser winds and that looks like motion. Your flies will look alive. The difference between a sparse hackle and thick one is like hair and helmet. Mayflies don't wear helmets.

I don't think a tool "set" is so bad, but buy a quality set. You want tools made of good metals so they'll hold an edge and stay tight. Scissors that dull quickly or come loose will drive you nuts. And tying is a hobby, you want to enjoy it. Quality tools and materials will add to the enjoyment of making flies and to their effectiveness as well. I would go to a shop and look at the tools, hold them in your hands and feel them. You'll know if they are worthwhile when you see them. That said, the best tying scissors I ever used were a pair of craft scissors for seamstresses. Much like these

If you are new to flyfishing, you may want to hold off on learning to tye. Learning to flyfish can be kind of frustrating and tying is another cliff to jump off. But that's a personal decision if you are up for going up two learning curves at the same time, more power to ya. I waited a couple years, but it's up to you. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, the tying information is overwhelming :)

I went down to the TCO shop here at PSU yesterday and purchased a bunch of stuff for the basic dry flies that the employee recommended(everyone I met there was awesome) while I am still here.

Then I'll be spending x-mas evening tying some flies and then I'll probably brave the freezing weather and stand on the side of a stream the day after and see if I get any luck :)

gemiller wrote:
Thanks for the advice, the tying information is overwhelming :)

I went down to the TCO shop here at PSU yesterday and purchased a bunch of stuff for the basic dry flies that the employee recommended(everyone I met there was awesome) while I am still here.

Then I'll be spending x-mas evening tying some flies and then I'll probably brave the freezing weather and stand on the side of a stream the day after and see if I get any luck :)

I think it was you posting about a job near Lehighton. If you end up in that area go up to the Evening Hatch fly shop near White Haven and talk to the guys. They have a large selection of tying materials, especially Whitting necks. They have a couple tying benches in the shop and are happy to show you how to tie.

FFP in State College also has a bench in the shop.

Another thing that great for a learner is to go to the Fly Show in Somerset NJ in January. There are seminars, booths with famous tiers that can show you techniques, and booths of vendors selling materials. Lots of other items like rods, reels, books, etc. Also guides and outfitters.

I completely disagree on not buying a beginners kit. It all depends on whose the retailer, believe it or not there are some decent beginner kits. If you were to go into a fly shop and ask for the basics 9/10 they'd probably steer you into the right direction. Visiting sites like YouTube make it better for me, pictures don't cut it.

Fly tying really isn't that expensive, compared to buying flies I'd say its about even in the long haul.

Hunting will help you. Shoot a pheasant, tie X amount of pheasant tails. Shoot a deer and you could substitute the Elk Hair on the Elk Hair Caddis for the Deer Hair Caddis. Same thing to me. Great fly anyway you look at it. You can buy dubbing backs and that'll start you off for what you'll use most for the flies you use, and thread isn't very expensive - along with the hooks, I think I bough 100 size 14 dry fly for around 6 bucks at a local fly shop.

give me an idea want you want to tie and I'll put together a great kit (less tools) for you..hooks, feathers, tinsel, thread,etc..all matched for fishing pa..

Nymphs and streamer/buctails would be the easiest to learn first. dry's are harder just because of the proportions to get it to float upright. plus learning hackle size and quality..

sandfly wrote:
give me an idea want you want to tie and I'll put together a great kit (less tools) for you..hooks, feathers, tinsel, thread,etc..all matched for fishing pa..

Nymphs and streamer/buctails would be the easiest to learn first. dry's are harder just because of the proportions to get it to float upright. plus learning hackle size and quality..

I bet old Sandfly would put a couple sample flies tied with the materials in the mix. Then you'd have a great package.

I can't imagine being an FFer without tying one's own flies - although I understand that there are many hard core FFers who don't tie. To me, so much of the attraction of FFing comes from fly design and experimentation with, and study of, prey species and how best to match them. That being said, there's no reason one can't enjoy the sport without tying. I do believe that, for the serious, frequent FFer, tying will save significant $ in the long run. Good flies these days run about a $1-$3. I typically burn thru several flies in a day's fishing. Even very simple patterns like egg flies, San Juan Worms, Wooly Buggers, and Hare's Ear nymphs usually run over a dollar each. "Home tied" flies cost a fraction of this. I recommend to new fishermen that they at least try tying, they can easily learn to tie run-of-the-mill flies and this will limit the amount of hooks and materials they need to buy up-front. More complex or smaller flies can continue to be purchased if the new FFer is unable to tie them or simply lacks the time.

I have a couple friends who limit themselves and yes, limiting yourself does save you money in the long run. They tie san juan worms (red, pink, brown, white, black), green weenies, hare's ear nymph, pheasant tail nymph, black/white woolly buggers, white/black marabou streamers, sulfur dries and black ants/beetles. This probably accounts for 80% of the flies they use. Anything else they buy.

I tie everything myself and I haven't saved anything other than the aggrivation of having to go to the fly shop to pick up replacement flies for the ones I lost today - I simply tie them again.

I am taking up fly fishing for the 2nd time after having lived in Tennessee since 1992 and not having a PA fishing license since then. I'm collecting flies that might be useful on the Yough but thusfar I've not entertained the thought of tying my own flies. I'm 58 years old, wear bifocals and just don't have real good up close vision. I'm kinda looking upon it much as I do reloading shotgun shells. If you do enough trap or skeet shooting you reach a certain point where it becomes financially advantageous to reload. With fly tying though, I am beginning to wonder. I visited Gander Mountain the other night and was astounded by the prices of the vises and materials such as feather, fur, hackles just to get started. So I guess the big question I have for you experienced fly tyers is: Does it save you any money with the volume of fishing that you do, or do you pretty much have to engage in fly tying commercially and sell your flies to break even or make money?

Personally I think tying your own flies is cost effective if you fish a lot in waters where you're going to loose flies and you limit yourself to fishing a small variety of flies.

If you go once a week and fish open waters where you won't loose flies, it probably isn't cost effective.

One thing, however, there is much more satisfaction when you land a fish on a fly you tied yourself even if it is something as simple as a san juan worm or green weenie or bucktail streamer.

I don't think it is cost effective, especially if you are like me and buy tons of materials.
Fly tying is a seperate hobby from fly fishing.

All I know is I never would want to pay $2 for something that cost a comercial fly tyer 7 cents.

Don't look at it as saving money. For me it is having what I need when I need it. It is not always easy for me to get to the fly shop. However, I do think over the long run you do save money. Keep it simple at first and build your kit as needed.

I will use a whooly bugger as an example on cost savings

Saddle Hackle = 2.99
Chenille = 2.50
100 Hooks = 6.99
Vice = 10 bucks
Bobbin = 2.99
Whip Finisher = 2.99
Nail polish .99 or free if ya steal it from your gal
Bead Heads = 4.00
Thread = .99

Total = 33.19 bucks

Now even if you can find the flies for .50 you are still saving money.

I figure I will be fishing mostly on Saturday mornings and occasionally on Sundays maybe 15-20 weekends a year at most. For about $150 I was able to buy 5-10 of every conceivable fly I would need on the Yough. With some minor replacements those flies will last me several years. From what I read $150 won't even by me a nice vise.

I have a vise that works wonderfully and I got it for $12.
My $150 vise was bought because I wanted it.

Vice - $15
Bobbin - $10
Scissors - $10
Other odds and ends - $25
Total - $60 (and this collection of tools is way better than any kit would provide)

In fly tying the materials is where you save you money. A bag of dubbing is @ $2, but it last for a couple hundred flies.
Micro chenelle is @ $3 for 5 yards, but for san juans you only need and inch; so that's 180 flies worth (for the price of 2 store bought flies).

But hey, if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. I know guys who fish a few times per week and don't tie their own, and I know guys who fish a couple times per year, but tie every night.

Another reason I hesitate to tie is I remember constructing some bucktail jigs (for bass) back in the early 90's and using various "furry" animal parts like squirrel's tails and feathers and I remember how attracted my wife's cats were to some of these objects if you left them laying around. Those 3 cats are now dead but she's got 2 new ones just like them.

I guess my next question is, if I am going to buy my flies at least for the time being is there any fly-tying outfit that I should stay away from? Please PM me or email me privately so we're not giving somone a public thrashing.

If you're talking about quality flies, as long as you buy from a fly shop you should get quality flies. if you're talking about customer service, that's another issue.

Check out the PA Fly Fishing Shops link.

You will do yourself justice if you go to a Specialty Fly Fishing Shop. They are experts at setting you up with the right stuff.
Don't waist time at Cabelas!

Is that because they steal business from your "specialty fly fishing shop" Evening Rise?

Back