Fly Tying CDC Micro PT

gaeronf

gaeronf

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdlGk__Tk5A&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Be sure to watch it in HD. This is a fly that is the version of PT's I use 18 and smaller. Using the CDC is a neat way to make legs. Thanks for checking it out!

Thanks for sharing. I've never used CDC as dubbing, but might have to try it.

Thanks for the nice video. CDC is useful stuff, but I don't like forcing it into every pattern. The fly is well tied, and I don't mean to be overly critical, but here is just looks too bulky to me. The CDC might work great on a larger nymph, but hares mask, or even good old peacock herl would be a better choice for forming the thorax and suggesting legs on a small fly IMHO.

FrequentTyer wrote:
Thanks for the nice video. CDC is useful stuff, but I don't like forcing it into every pattern. The fly is well tied, and I don't mean to be overly critical, but here is just looks too bulky to me. The CDC might work great on a larger nymph, but hares mask, or even good old peacock herl would be a better choice for forming the thorax and suggesting legs on a small fly IMHO.

Good idea! I'll try and tie some variations up tomorrow. Who knows? I guess we'll have to do a test to see which works!

Interesting way to use CDC, I like it.

To put online fly tying videos on the net, your fingernails need to be at least another half inch longer...

Maybe try a small dubbing loop for the cdc. May get a better look instead of your traditional dubbing style.

ryguyfi wrote:
To put online fly tying videos on the net, your fingernails need to be at least another half inch longer...

Maybe try a small dubbing loop for the cdc. May get a better look instead of your traditional dubbing style.

Lol. Darn. I better start growing my nails then...haha. And yes, I tried that. It does work out good, and gives similar if not the same effect as it being brushed back. I just do it this way for convenience. Because it gets harder to do dubbing loops and such on 20s, 22s, and 24s...

gaeronf wrote:
...it gets harder to do dubbing loops and such on 20s, 22s, and 24s...

There's more than one way to do a dubbing loop. The Petitjean bobbin is easy, but you have to wrap three thicknesses of thread. A "traditional" dubbing loop still requires 2 thicknesses of thread.

Try the split thread technique - same amount of thread as what you used. Bennechi 12/0 thread works good for this on smaller flies.

Nice video - cdc is our friend. ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
gaeronf wrote:
...it gets harder to do dubbing loops and such on 20s, 22s, and 24s...

There's more than one way to do a dubbing loop. The Petitjean bobbin is easy, but you have to wrap three thicknesses of thread. A "traditional" dubbing loop still requires 2 thicknesses of thread.

Try the split thread technique - same amount of thread as what you used. Bennechi 12/0 thread works good for this on smaller flies.

Nice video - cdc is our friend. ;-)

...now how am i supposed to split 12/0 thread? I miss 90% of the time with flat waxed nylon! :D lol thanks for the info, and yes cdc is our friend:)

Rather than use the hunt and poke method, try this:

Flatten thread by spinning the bobbin. Place thread against your finger. Use a thin needle - the kind that come with dress shirts work great. Place needle parallel to thread and roll the pin tip on top of the thread - the thread wraps around the tip when you push on the thread with the tip of the pin.

Works every time. :-D

Thanks for taking the time to make and publish a video. Suggestion from my personal preference... I like when a video starts with a finished version of the fly. Many videos are 12-15 minutes long, and it is nice to see the finished product first. Thanks again for taking the time and sharing your techniques.

Holy CRAP!! JerseyGeorge is back! Glad to see you on here again. You going to have another go in 2012?

Andy

Andy- Yeah, I am back. Been a long strange trip. Got some catching up to do... Thanks.

If you're at the Capra late April - early May, I'll run into you then. We are also trying to do the "jam" much earlier while the fishing is still really good. I started a post under the events section. Come on up and join us. Brandon's got a drift boat for us to use.

Back