Fly tying area

Fredrick

Fredrick

Ok this is my tying area that I started on in my new house in my MAN CAVE :pint: . So let me know what you think ?
Also can some of you fine tyers post some pics of your tying area so I can grab some ideas to tweak mine a little
clouser008.jpg

clouser010.jpg

clouser011.jpg

at best i have a man corner. as such it quadruples as many areas.
aka area 51......as many bombs have gone off...or so it looks.
fly tying
reloading
gunsmithing
model building
computer desk
are just the top 4........

Attachments

• mancorner.JPG
    mancorner.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 5
fredrick, that is the most orginized tying bench i`ve seen, hopefully cause you just moved in...lol

Here's my tying corner.

Attachments

• P9200047.JPG
    P9200047.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 3
  • P9200048.JPG
    P9200048.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 3
  • P9200049.JPG
    P9200049.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P9200050.JPG
    P9200050.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 4
I am somewhat shocked to not see a computer screen near your tying stations. While I know it is not the only way, nor even the best, I love finding sites online (like this one) for new advice for tying, recipes or variations. My area would not be complete without a computer near by. Of course, I still need to check on some basic flies because I don't tie enough.

Here is my area

Attachments

• MVC-032S.JPG
    MVC-032S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 3
  • MVC-033S.JPG
    MVC-033S.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 4
Those are not tying benches- where are the empty coffee cups and beer cans ?

i hear that Bruno...mine looks like a bomb went off on it...I'm scared if i organize it i won't be able to find anything....

jeff

Me too. I'm half embarassed to post a picture of the war zone, so I won't.

I clean mine up almost once a week. It remains clean for about 1/2 hour and then it goes to hell- To quote my wife " Clean that mess up and if I get a hook in my foot.............."

My girlfriend was packing to leave a few weeks ago, and she tried to unfold a shirt. It didn't want to unfold. It was a size 26 too, so she would have never seen it coming.

I took my shoes off to pass through security at the airport once and had a size 16 dry fly hook in my sock. I must have walked all morning with it in there.

It's a calculated risk.

Well hopefully the below pics will be the new fly tying station (wife approved too) by the end of the week.

I always thought a secretary desk would work well for quickly hiding my mess. Push the materials back and swing the panel back up into place.

Anyone else use one of these for a station?

Attachments

• Secretary desk 001.jpg
    Secretary desk 001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Secretary desk 006.jpg
    Secretary desk 006.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4
I use a secratary's desk as my tying station. It is nice when I'm not tying because everything is hidden. The only problem is if you store materials in the lower drawers, especially the top drawer, and forget to get them out before you start tying. It seems like this always happens to me after I get everything else out and the light set up. For this reason, I use the very top drawer for everything but tying materials so that way I never have to get into it when I'm set up and ready to tie. The second drawer from the top is only used for back-up materials so I don't have to get into it much either. The lower 2 drawers are for whatever but can be accessed without putting everyting away and the drop down surface back up.

i have more of a man table as i have been kicked out from infront of the computer i guess hackle trimming dont go well with keyboards lol and i could never have exposed feathers they have to be locked away from the cat tho smuggles them into the back of the bedroom closet and builds a feather bed he really likes the grizzly and furnace patterns and he like the hares mask too

brain wrote:
at best i have a man corner. as such it quadruples as many areas.
aka area 51......as many bombs have gone off...or so it looks.
fly tying
reloading
gunsmithing
model building
computer desk
are just the top 4........
Nice AK's Brian one of these days I'm going to get a AR-15 :-D

Nice stuff guys so far keep them coming . The reason why my area didn't look like a bomb hit was that it took me a half hour to clean it up for the photo .

jayL wrote:
My girlfriend was packing to leave a few weeks ago, and she tried to unfold a shirt. It didn't want to unfold. It was a size 26 too, so she would have never seen it coming.

I took my shoes off to pass through security at the airport once and had a size 16 dry fly hook in my sock. I must have walked all morning with it in there.

It's a calculated risk.

:) - that is awesome, man

Boy you guys keep it neat..mine looks like a jungle...the desk is always under a foot of feathers and yarn :)

I would be afraid to even show you

My fly tying area is a darkroom converted into a fly tying room. I have the tying bench situated in a corner of the room that has three walls fairly close to it. Covering these walls are tying materials hung by binder clip on screws. Things like zonker strips or chenille are put in ziplock bags and hung together, but each dubbing color has its own screw, so you can sit at the bench and actually see all the dubbing options you have, as well as 80% of your other materials. This is nice because I don't have to go sorting through drawers, and if I gets tumped on a pattern I'm creating I can actually see everything I have to work with. I have a dowel rod with a little hook on it that I use to reach any of the materials from where I sit, even if they are hung fairly high up.
Behind the tying bench, on the other side of the small room, is a table set up to put all the materials on for a certain type of fly, or to look things up in fly tying books. The benchside reference stays on that table. I do have a drawer for hooks and spare thread and some less used tying books. Overall, it works really well. Heres some pics.

DSCN1301copy.jpg

DSCN1303.jpg

DSCN0744.jpg

RetrievingMaterials.jpg

wow sonoZ3, very orginized , i wish my area was that neat

Sonof that is one helluva tying space you've got there :-o Very nice setup!

Back