Fly rod

Merle

Merle

What would be a good action rod for casting Wooly buggers, Clouser Minnows with lead eyes up to 1/33 oz. Distance would be much of a factor since I will be fishing from a canoe. FYI the target fish would be Smallmouth. I have a 6 wt fast action St. Croix Avid, but it seems to be a fairly stiff rod.

Merle

Dear Merle,

Unless you have your heart set on buying a new rod why not try the one you already have first?

I use an 8 weight for smallmouth and I'm partial to fast action rods anyway so you won't be wanting my advice. :-D

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Another possibility is to test cast it with a 7-weight line, which may have the effect of reducing the action to moderate to moderate-fast.

Bob Clouser designed a rod for casting his deep minnows. It's a St. Criox Legend Ultra. It's a bit pricey, but you're loaded! :-D :p

Pad, your right, at 300.00 +, I think I will give the 6wt. A shot. I have never used it, it was one that I built about 4 yrs ago.

Merle

I have an old floppy glass shakespeare wonderod that'll probably lob them more than throw them...But I like jack's suggestion about going up a line wt. 6wt is perfect for smallies.

Back