Fly rod

Scott1284

Hello I am new to fly fishing and was looking for a rod to start with a friend of mine who dabbles with fly fishing for trout(he takes a fly rod and spinning tackle to the trout stream) gave me a 7' fly rod is this rod ok to start with or should I purchase a longer rod thank you

You may find you're limited, but it will work. An 8 foot or 8 1/2 foot rod is more"standard". What is the line weight of the rod? Where do you fish?

If you're fishing small creeks in the area, a 7 foot rod will work just fine. If it's something that you're actually going to wade, then a 9' rod will be more ideal. The benefits of the length no only help with casting but more in managing your line on the water and having a longer reach if you're nymphing. Lots of good water in NW PA!

I would say to stick with what you have for now and see of you like fly fishing. If you end up enjoying it, I would invest in a longer rod, 9 foot or 8'6". I would also go up in weight, I started with a 5/6 weight and now I use that in ponds and lakes for bass. I got a 4 weight that I use in creeks and streams for trout. That is just my personal opinion, you will soon learn what you like/need for the fishing you do.

Good luck and welcome to a new addiction

Thank you all so much for the replys I will give it a shot headed to my camp in Potter county in a couple weeks give it a good try then

A 7' 3/4wt rod will work well on those small streams.

I love that for spinning gear for trout, a 4'6" UL is my go to trout rod, yet for fly fishing im holding a 8'6". The differences are so vast. I agree with using what you have, Nobody is the same, Im just getting started and getting a feel for whats going to work for me. I doubt ill buy a different setup until winter so I can become more aquainted with my style through this season with my cheap 5wt. Best of luck!

Good advice from Makee and as BrookieChaser stated, you'll be fine with what you have now.

My best friend is in a similar position as you, just starting to dip his toes into fly fishing this year, with a 7'6" 3/4wt that's been sitting in his attic for over a decade.

The (very) generalized guideline I gave him for deciding what water his rod would work on was this:

1) Wet water. Seriously, you can divide any creek into small sections and fish it effectively with just about any rod. If you want to fish a creek, fish it. Any rod will work better than no rod.

2) The 4-6wt range work great on any trout water in PA. This is kind of the do-it-all range.

3) 6-8wt is for warmwater (not for the fish but because the flies are generally bigger and heavier) and steelhead in Erie.

4) As a (very) general guide on when to go below a 4wt, I suggested that in any stream where, in the entire section he's fishing, he knows that he can walk across anywhere without going in over his waders, that's a prime candidate for dropping below a 4wt. Generally around here, the bigger water has some deeper holes and pools and heavier curents & rapids than you'd really want to wade through, choosing a better crossing point. If you could pretty much cross anywhere if you had to, it's likely perfect 3wt water. If you can jump across at several points, you can probably safely drop below a 2wt.

Welcome aboard and to ffing. Where you're heading that length/weight rod will be great. Have fun, & say a prayer to the tree gods before you start. 🙂

Back