Fly Rod Stripers

GRP

GRP

Fished Friday night in Indian River Inlet with a charter captain. Was my wife and myself on the boat. We fished for a while with light tackle and caught a bunch of just short of legal stripers. Then switched it up and threw the fly rod for an hour or so at the end of the night. Caught more stripers than I could keep track of. Was pretty much a fish caught every cast. What a blast! Will be back to fish again with this captain, and will definitely break out the fly rod sooner!

Attachments

• striper fly rod.jpg
    striper fly rod.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 5
Ok were are the fish pics ?

Nice job GRP. Were the fish deep or working the surface? It's been awhile since I've fished Indian River as I mostly focus on New Jersey nowadays. Nevertheless, it's a hotspot and now is prime time.

The fish were busting bait on the surface under the lights. The action wasn't too hot under the lights until the tide really started to rip. Capt. did a great job holding the boat a fairly constant distance from the wall allowing me to get my flies right against the wall most of the fish were holding against.

Here you go Fred:

Attachments

• striper on the fly.jpg
    striper on the fly.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 2
  • striper 1c.jpg
    striper 1c.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
  • flies.jpg
    flies.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 3
Unfortunately we missed the migration of big fish by at most a few days as they are still working down the coast.

Big ones or not...those fish are fun! Nice job. Even more fun when they are busting the surface in the dark!!!

Name of the captain/boat?

I've yet to put a bass on a fly rod @ IRI. I fish there all the time, since the parents have a place not to far away. Most of my saltwater success comes on spinning gear.

It was Capt. Chuck Cook from First Light Charters.

www.firstlightcharters.net

Where we were fishing would only be accessable by boat, no shore access.

Garrett

Nice!

Only place in IRI, you can't fish from the jetty is the coast guard station. other than that I thought it was all open. Did they change something in the last 12 years.

Big Bass are still north of jersey.

Snuff,
You are right, we were fishing by the coast guard station.

Thanks for the link! Might look him up for when the stripers really hit.

GRP wrote:
The fish were busting bait on the surface under the lights. The action wasn't too hot under the lights until the tide really started to rip. Capt. did a great job holding the boat a fairly constant distance from the wall allowing me to get my flies right against the wall most of the fish were holding against.

Here you go Fred:

Thxs that is more like it :pint:

i caught my hammerhead back behind the coast guard station in the 80's. Bugger bit me in the leg too.

The inlet is funny back there because you can be drifiting in 40' of water, then hit a rip that is 6' deep, then hit a hole that is 60' deep. I'm sure a hamerhead would be a blast, was it on fly or spinning gear? How big was it?

I was on the flats, and he took a fly, only a small one.

Attachments

• hammer head 003_thumb.jpg
    hammer head 003_thumb.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 3
Awesome!

Back