Fly rod roof rack carriers?

J

jbeck

Is anyone familiar with a company that makes roof rack mounted carriers for fly rods? I'm looking for something that will allow me to mount up to a 9'6" rod, fully assembled with reel in place, and have it be protected while traveling highway speeds to and from the stream.

Know of anything?

Thanks!

JBeck,
IMHO if you are going to store it on a roof rack the Titan Rod Vault is the only one i know of that will handle fully assembled 10 foot rods , it isnt cheap but then again neither is your fly rod/reel/line.
It is lockable too.
I personally use a Rod Loft Pro in my 4Runner, it handles 10 footers easily inside.
Depends what your budget an likes are. If I didnt have a Rod Loft, i would have purchased this.
Your Milage may vary,hope this helps.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Lonewolf, thanks for the recommendation. That is exactly what I'm looking for, minus the very hefty price tag. Time to start saving!

"Fully protected?" Strap a piece of PVC to your roof rack.

-or-

Any ski rack from any vendor will work quite nicely. If you watch ebay or craigslist, you'll find one for $20 at some point. I've driven with rods at unto 80mph with no issue, but only with the ones designated for "don't care" duty.

Nicer rods I keep at local road speeds.

Any Steelheader.Salmon flyfisherman worth his salt always has his rod assembled in the vehicle or in one of thses things. PVC does not lock.worst feeling in the world is to have your vehicle broken into and stuff you struggled to aquire.It has happened to me i prefer to pay a lil an have piece of mind your milage may vary.
Also reason you have said rod assembled is that when you are up on the Great Lakes you get yer butt to the water before it is light ,you dont want to fumble around with your rod assembling it.spend more time getting your waders on carefully and layering to be comfortable an dry.
I also like this setup because of the 10 footer factor, i use alot of rods that are 10 and a couple that are longer.It locks ,and also i can rig up an leave my rod in there when i go from River to river/stream to stream.
Like i said if i didnt have the rod loft id have bought this.
The rod safe only works for 9 foot an under rods thats also another option too.
Gfen, i am all about clever ways to rig an save a buck,but where applies my flyfishing gear, i worked a hellish amount of hours to aquire my gear, id rther have peace of mind.

Sport Tube makes a few as well and for 1/2 the price of the Titan.

Jr , thats also a gretaa system too

Why? I think you're just asking for trouble. My rods stay in the case until I'm in my boots no matter where I'm going.

Next do it yourself project

obtain 10 ft pvc tubing x 3

cut in half lenghtwise

secure two halves with hinges on one side and locks on the other

cut styrofoam to hold rods securely inside tubes

use the foam that you can buy to put canoes on the roof of your car and mount them

then use a cable lock (like with treestands) to secure it to the roof of the car

It could be fun to put together but might not look as nice as the Titan

If someone really wants something bad enough no case will keep it safe (they could just steal your car next time)....the fly rods in my car are worth more than the car anyhow

Tygear,
Great post an idea. Experience has taught me to lock down the ship. He merely asked if there was a product out there that would hold the longer rods already assembled with reel attached. This was one i knew off that is available.
I also like an have seen guys do the snowbaord rack thing too. fine for goin a few miles up the road or over to another stream.Difference is when you stop at a rest area to take a leak or stop to get something to eat at a resturant...chances are especially if its dark out that your rod can get lifted or broken an dont even mention the reel.
If you are going this route you are far better off with a locking device for the rack as well as the reel area.most folks dont carry boltcutters.
As for keeping them in tubes, that may be true an false. I ahev broken a few rod tips by my own fault using this method.
Now i like the Rod Loft pro,never lose my rod, never had a rod /reel lost because i left it on my roof of my vehicle.I can see my rod is with me intact .and like i said before i get in my waders put on my chest pack and the rod is ready to go. Your milage may vary to each his own.

Back