Fly Rod and Reel

A

Aroth500

I am starting to get more serious into fly fishing and I am looking into getting a new rood and reel combo I was curious what are some good combos and good places to get them I am from Perry county PA and I'm just wondering what to look into?

Redington Crosswater is available in outfits and its pretty good. Ross, St Croix and others also have starter outfits. Check your local stores for what is available and see if you can test cast any.

You might want to look for a rod first and then add reel and line.

Cabelas and Bass Pro also have some good stater outfits.

Typically for most PA fishing a 5 weight rod, 8'6" - 9' is good. The action varies a lot on fly rods just like spinning rods. For a first rod a medium fast is usually a good way to go but it depends on your casting style.

The reddington stuff is very good stuff and they have a great warranty. If you are looking to buy something in person...here in the Harrisburg area, Bass Pro has a nice fly fishing section in their store and Yellow Breeches Outfitters in Boiling Springs can help you out too. I know that right now there are a bunch of 5 weight rods on clearance at Bass Pro...it the older model of the 270 rod...which I thought was a pretty nice rod. They were on sale for 89.00. Then they have some large arbor reels on sale for 39. Add some of their cv2 line for 29 and you'd be set. I know I sound like a commercial for Bass Pro...but with a couple of these close outs...you would have a pretty good outfit. Definitely a step up for the usual entry level outfit.

Back