Fly Rod and Reel Magazine

S

sjangler

Anyone else notice that the magazine has gone belly up? It is one that will be missed...maybe the only one.

Understand that the parent company shut it down in March, but just got a subscriber communication today.

I have to say most of my fly fishing reading occurs on this site. Better yet daily reading.
Better info, very timely and for the most part an accurate view of fly fishing in Pennsylvania.

I didn't get any notice, but instead got a plastic covered copy of the their shotgunning magazine. On the outside of the package was a letter explaining that they'd stopped production and were going to substitute this magazine copy for copy until my subscription runs out. Honestly, it isn't alot of money, but I think I should have at least been given an opportunity for a refund instead.

Honestly, it was the best flyfishing magazine of the big three as far as I was concerned. Oh well, guess I will spend more time on this website from now on......

Can't say I'll miss it. At one time I had subscriptions to all three. American Angler was the last one I canceled.

If you are beyond the basic nuts and bolts of FFing'g I think Fly Fish and Tying Journal still has a lot to offer and Fly Fusion, the Drake and other similar mags offer more interesting content.

The old standby mags are long past their prime and offer nothing to anyone beyond beginner level IMO.

At one time Fly Fisherman was an amazing magazine, ownership changes put it n the toilet almost overnight. American Angler was pretty solid for a while longer but has been headed downhill for a while IMO. I can't say I ever favored FR&R over those two.

Sad to see any of these go, but we are in Golden age of fly fishing as far as available info goes. YouTube, various forums and blogs all offer up some truly unique content we'd never get in a traditional mag. I think overall it has been changing the sport more than those magazines ever did.

It was a good magazine and I'm sorry to see it go. I was a long time on and off subscriber.

Back