Fly Patterns: Replicate or Create

All of these posts are interesting reading. What I take from having done so is that there is a broad range of interpretation when it comes to innovation.

It's true that "There's nothing new under the sun," for the most part. Generally speaking, I believe we can divide fly tying into 3 parts: materials, application of materials or tying technique and overall pattern. Withing these three parts we can have both replication and/or innovation.

Pure replication has the tyer using pattern recipe, materials and method and sequence of application provided by another. Simply stated, if one is using something they gleaned form another tyer it may be described as replication...or not.

When a tyer mixes materials and/ or the application of materials in a manner that he or she has never before been exposed to I would label this as innovation. It may very well be that someone else has done the same thing before and many folks may already be aware of it; however, if this individual tyer has not, this tyer exhibited innovation in producing a pattern.

I've been tying flies for well over 50 years and every once in a while I see someone do something I've never seen before and that tyer has never seen anyone else do what they do the same way. Even if sometime later I witness someone else do the same thing the same way and these 2 tyers weren't aware of each other they both exhibited innovation in their tying.

Most of those who know me know that I develop most of the patterns I fish. While I may use my own dubbing blends and I may have some methods of application that are associated with me the basis of everything I do can be traced back to replication in some way, shape or form. Variation of those basics in a manner the tyer has not yet been exposed to is where innovation creeps in.

Back