Fly pack

strap44

strap44

Still navigating back through to see if anything answers my question but thought it won't hurt to ask anyways.

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pack? Looking for a chest pack with enough room for at least 2 medium/large double sided fly boxes. Also would like to have a back pack section. Somewhere to tuck away a shirt/rain jacket, sun screen, bug spray. I really like the fishpond bags but they're too pricey for my liking. If anyone has suggestions it'd be great

Thank you in advance

WJ Confluence

I agree with KeithS. The WJ Confluence is going to be hard to beat. The Umpqua Overlook 500 fits the bill for the most part as well except it does not have a "backpack", but a little pocket in the back to hold some items.

If you really like the Fishpond gear I would just wait till you could save up the extra to pick one up.

WJ Confluence is good. If you don't like the magnetic closure, I have an Orvis Safe Passage chest pack that's in great condition for $30.00 to meet in the Harrisburg area.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have to check them out. Going to have to look at them at the store, last time I bought a pack online I was slightly disappointed. Wasn't as big as I thought it'd be and I'm a chronic over packer.

SteveG thanks for the offer, might take ya up on it once I decide what I'm doing as far as primary pack.

I have had quite a few chest packs over the years (Orvis, Fishpond etc etc) and I now use a William Joseph Current Chest pack and it is AWESOME ! It is the largest of their MAG Series of packs with the Zip-No closure system and all the pocket closures are magnetic so no more zippers to get your leader, tippet or whatever tangled up in (that used to drive me crazy) and it is also VERY easy to open and close with one hand which to me is a valuable feature on-stream. It has 721 Cubic Inches of storage space which is pretty good for a chest pack and a very comfortable heavily padded neck strap. Unless you have a pacemaker which the rare earth magnetic strips can disrupt this is the best pack out there IMO. No backpack but as far as a chest pack I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

The advantage of the Confluence is no neck strap. I went to a fishpond Arroyo, which worked great as a waist pack until it got wet.
Being short, it was always wet. i tend to wade deep if need be.
The Confluence has two shoulder straps and really spreads the load.
In the summer, it can get warm, but air does flow with the padding design. I will probably not carry it this summer unless I go somewhere that I'm unfamiliar with. Even then, I'll try to use a lanyard and one medium flybox.

WJ Confluence is the best pack I ever owned. Lots of room to store boxes, rain jacket and a small lunch for an all day trip of fishing!

Back