Fly of the day

sandfly

sandfly

past 2 days this has been the fly of choice. Fished wet fly style.

Attachments

• 5-23-2011 asaph 002.jpg
    5-23-2011 asaph 002.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 9
Bob,
This is a nice, i use similiar patterns for Cattaruagurus for The Erie Steelhead tied on Daiichi 1270,whats your choice of hackle? a variant ginger?I love it its great when you can get away from the microscope of hatch matching and get em with colors you wouldn't expect otherwise.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Cant wait to get that hackle/tail guage since im a tying tool collector.

Rick,
The fly was originally for steel head. I had one in my wet fly book the other day and figured what the hey. it worked during the MB hatch. Tied a few more for tuesday and they worked again, 2 of us hit fish with it so it wasn't a fluke. The hackle is from my birds I have for the mottled feathers. Just put another 14 eggs under a hen to hatch some more. gage should be there today or thursday.

I tie a purple fly the works well for me at times. It's a purple and starling soft hackle: Purple floss body with silver wire ribbing and starling hackle.

Purple Streetwalker varient, eh?

Bob,
I swing alot of steelhead hairwings tied on Mustad 36890 in sizes 12 and 10 and the browns/rainbows and Brookies love em i try to present greased line. I might be interested in a hen cape like that im also looking for a cream/white speckled hen.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Purple is an underused color. Its on fire some days. Some days its not. I know that steelhead love that and blue. Those are the two colors that are visible early in the morning and the last tow colors to fade out in the evening.

sandfly wrote:
Rick,
The fly was originally for steel head. I had one in my wet fly book the other day and figured what the hey. it worked during the MB hatch. Tied a few more for tuesday and they worked again, 2 of us hit fish with it so it wasn't a fluke. The hackle is from my birds I have for the mottled feathers. Just put another 14 eggs under a hen to hatch some more. gage should be there today or thursday.

I like that hackle color, good match for March Brown. BTW are you selling any necks or just using for your own ties? I have a nice collection of hen necks but am always looking for more with interesting color/patterns.

The purple cow in my avatar only uses purple flies.

Franklin,
Looks PINK to me. then again you hang around Loum alot...I don't kill my birds just get them at molting season. Once you kill a certain bird you are done. This way i have an endless supply. I do sell limited quantities of feathers.

sandfly wrote:
Franklin,
Looks PINK to me. then again you hang around Loum alot...

Could be, I do have an urge to steal flies!

I heard he was stealing flies off of a guy on the saucon last night and almost got into a fight...ask him about it sometime...

Back