Fly lines Double taper Vs. Weight Forward

Acristickid

Acristickid

Never put a ton of thought into my fly line. WF seemed always the right choice- especially for my skill set.

Recently I had a chance to cast a friends rod with a DT line and it shot out of the guides. I was quite impressed.

Seems like it might be decent for nymphing as well.

Any thoughts or advice? My fly line is still in good shape but was thinking of trying the line next time.

Thanks in advance for any information. Paul

For normal fishing distances, you shouldn't even be able to tell much difference, because the front section is similar to both lines. You have to get into the thin section of a WF (which is still thick in DT) before any differences come into play, which of course may happen on large streams. There's a much larger difference between brands, and the age/wear of the lines in question. A good line cleaning can also make a line zing for a certain time period. My guess is that your buddy had newer line, cleaned it better or more recently, or perhaps just a different brand that you found more to your liking.

For long distance casting, weight forward will cast farther and shoot better. DT will mend easier, and roll cast better, easier to pick up off the water overall.

DT also has a hidden advantage that it can be turned around for theoretically twice the useful life. But I'm one of those guys who doesn't take care of my line as well as I should. The lower part on a standard reel has a smaller radius of winding, and thus if it gets wet (from dipping the reel), it will crack even if its never used. So, for me, the other side of the line may be slightly better than the previously used side, but nowhere near "as new" condition.

Paul,

Here is a little primer on lines... http://www.flyfishusa.com/lines/choose-line-home.html

A WF should shoot better for long casts. A DT gives you two lines for one price as you can turn your line around after a seson or two. If you don't make a lot of long casts, the DT is probably the way to go.

Cast a few and see what you like.

I always used cortland rocket taper, but I've really fallen in love with Rio Grand WF.

Never a big fan of DT. I don't like how it shoots. Then again, I prefer to make long casts. I know it's not the best approach, but I enjoy it.

For the reasons stated above, I usually only use DT for shorter rods where roll casting and mending are at more of a premium due to the nature of the streams on which I use the shorter rods...

With the cost of lines now, I use DT on all my rods.
I usually get 2 years out of one end, then turn it around for 2 more. In fact I'm currently using an air cell 5weight DT that's on it's 4th season, - and it's fine.
Even though WF lines are supposed to cast better, IMO,you can do pretty much the same thing by fishing one line weight heavier with a DT, which I've been doing for years

Thanks for the info. I knew some stuff already but nothing beats answers from decades of experience! Cleaned my lines and polished up of my rods to see if that helps.
Can't see why I would'nt buy a DT line next assuming I can catch a sale.

With the exception of some specialty-tapered lines, the taper of most WF & DT fly lines are identical in the first 35-40’. After that length, the WF tapers into a thin running line for shooting, while the DT maintains the same diameter until tapers at the opposite end, mirroring the front taper. If you keep you casts short, 50’ or less, the DT should work for you. If you find a need to cast further and shoot line, the DT won’t shoot as well, or will overload your rod if you try to aerialize more than 40’ of line. Therefore, WF would better serve you for longer casts. Out to 50', both type lines are the same with any type of cast you need to make.

Some guys, on a light rod used for short distance casting on small streams, cut their DT line in half rather than leave it on the spool to become twisted and degrade. The other end is like a brand new line when the first one wears out - a two for one bargain! A 90’ line cut in half is still 45’ in length. Add the length of the rod and leader and you can still cast over 50’ if need be. One added benefit to cutting the line in half, is the shortened fly line fits better and weighs less when spooled on the small diameter, lightweight reels used on such rods.

Ok. WhAt about nymphing? Assume I am not casting more than 20-30 feet or so- it mends better right? etc..

Considering I probably nymph fish more. Thanks

I use DT lines. They work fine. And the cost is cut in half.

Paul,

DT roll casts, mends better, and works better for nymphing is a myth perpetuated time and time again on the Internet, and by the wisdom of many “expert” fishermen that don't check things out. There may have been a time when it was true, I don't know, or it may just be that it was ASSumed that a line with the “weight forward” will not roll or mend efficiently. As I posted, with the exception of specialty taper fly lines, the front taper (the first 30’ or so) of modern fly lines is identical for standard WF & DT lines. Here's proof:

Sci Anglers

Rio

I use WF because I find the need to make a long cast at times on bigger water. Troutbert uses DT, and probably has never missed a fish because of it. If your casts are always shorter, buy DT for the economy of reversing it or cutting it in half, or buy WF for casts > 50' where you need to shoot line.

Don't sweat it, you're casts will be as good (or as bad) with whichever one you choose.

Very good!

You mean I can't blame a poor cast on the line? ha

Another thing I'd like to add.
With the popularity of WF lines now, it's getting a little hard to find DT's in some brands of fly lines - at least in the fly shops I've been frequenting

Dryflyguy,

There are valid reasons for going up a line weight in given circumstances. But overweighting a DT line makes it less like a WF, not more, because a WF line is by definition lighter.

Rods are rated for line weight at a certain distance (I believe 30 feet but would have to check). If you're casting further than that, which you have to be for there to be ANY difference between DT and WF, then you are already overweighting your rod, and even more so with the DT line. For super long casts, you want a lower weight line, of course there's a trade off in that it won't load well at close range, and you'd also probably choose a WF line. In close, taper doesn't matter at all (other than economy), but overweighting it will help it load correctly at really close range.

Back