Fly Line

Baron

Baron

I need to develop a strategy to replace my lines and also to better care for and to clean the lines I have.

-Lets start with cleaning. I've fished these three lines for a year and have never cleaned them. It never even occurred to me until recently that the lines should be cleaned. What do you do?

-Line: when I started FF I went online and bought three cheap Martins and a Wye reel. The Wye had line on it and seems okay. For the Martins I purchased $7 fly line (Chinese). It has worked sufficiently until now.
What brand would you recommend for all purpose trout and bass? Should I hold off buying line until I get better reels that hold more line and backing?

All purpose Bass and Trout for what weight? for my 4 wt set ups and overlined 3 wts I went with an SA Amplitude Trout, which is primarily a dry fly line. It does fine for nymphing. I think a more all around line from SA is the MPX or Infinity, they also have what I think is the ART (all around Taper). I like the Amplitude series, but it costs more. The MPX is going to be better with a faster rod. My 6 wt I use a bass bug from SA, which is a heavier line to begin with. Keep in mind that's a warm water line so might not perform well in cooler temps.

If you can't tell I am an SA fan over Rio, but its a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

Paulson wrote:
All purpose Bass and Trout for what weight? for my 4 wt set ups and overlined 3 wts I went with an SA Amplitude Trout, which is primarily a dry fly line. It does fine for nymphing. I think a more all around line from SA is the MPX or Infinity, they also have what I think is the ART (all around Taper). I like the Amplitude series, but it costs more. The MPX is going to be better with a faster rod. My 6 wt I use a bass bug from SA, which is a heavier line to begin with. Keep in mind that's a warm water line so might not perform well in cooler temps.

If you can't tell I am an SA fan over Rio, but its a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

You have experience and hind-sight to draw from and I don't have much of either. I like rio's YouTube messages, and I like and use their tippet, but that is not enough familiarity to draw conclusions or form preferences.

I prefer 6wt for both my 7/8 and 6wt medium/medium fiberglass rods. I have felt that the taper is a bit abrupt on the Cortland line I have on one reel. I am considering a double-taper or nymphing taper for another reel. I feel it may offer a bit more accuracy in tighter quarters.

The Amplitude Trout line seems too expensive for my tastes as it will go onto a $13 reel. Their SA Mastery Trout Series is more economical and has a more metered taper than many of their lines.
You mentioned 3 and 4 wt gear.

What type of reel capacity do you have? My reels don't hold much line.....and almost no backing. While I enjoy these simple clickers maybe I should make a larger capacity reel my next investment instead of line.

A fly line like Cortland 333 Double Taper is a better fit for how you are fishing. It works well up to 40 feet and you can reverse it if the head gets cracked and crappy. It goes for under $40 and should last at least a few years.

You should check your local fly shop for sale or clearance lines. Last year's latest and greatest is often on the discount rack. For example, A&G Outfitters near scranton has Orvis and Rio lines at 40% off.

As far as cleaning and maintenance go, do a google search. I thoroughly clean my lines 1-2 times per year using the kitchen sink with lukewarm water and dilute mild dish soap. That plus a cotton wash rag do very well to clean my lines and prep them for treatment.

I treat my lines with Loon Line Speed or Rio Agent X. This conditions the line and makes it shoot better. I do this a few times during the fishing season or right before a big trip.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
A fly line like Cortland 333 Double Taper is a better fit for how you are fishing. It works well up to 40 feet and you can reverse it if the head gets cracked and crappy. It goes for under $40 and should last at least a few years.

You should check your local fly shop for sale or clearance lines. Last year's latest and greatest is often on the discount rack. For example, A&G Outfitters near scranton has Orvis and Rio lines at 40% off.

As far as cleaning and maintenance go, do a google search. I thoroughly clean my lines 1-2 times per year using the kitchen sink with lukewarm water and dilute mild dish soap. That plus a cotton wash rag do very well to clean my lines and prep them for treatment.

I treat my lines with Loon Line Speed or Rio Agent X. This conditions the line and makes it shoot better. I do this a few times during the fishing season or right before a big trip.

Thanks Fly. It had never dawned on me to clean up my act until Afish and Bam mentioned how perfectly they maintained their gear. I guess its the old "watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves".
I guess the reason I noticed that the lines are dirty is that they 1) have never been cleaned and 2) they are weathering and pitting on a micro basis and that condition holds more dirt. Line conditioner sounds good as well once they're cleaned.

When or how cn you tell a fly line is shot?

Baron wrote:
When or how cn you tell a fly line is shot?

It usually has some micro cracks in it and stops floating because of water penetration.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but sometimes (for me, anyway) tippet will wrap around fly line and cut it. Also, physical wear happens from stepping on it, particularly on dirt/rocks/gravel.

Modern fly line has a core that is coated in PVC. THe coating aids in floating (or sinking), shooting line, and adds taper. When the coating goes, the line is shot.

Baron wrote:

You have experience and hind-sight to draw from and I don't have much of either. I like rio's YouTube messages, and I like and use their tippet, but that is not enough familiarity to draw conclusions or form preferences.

I prefer 6wt for both my 7/8 and 6wt medium/medium fiberglass rods. I have felt that the taper is a bit abrupt on the Cortland line I have on one reel. I am considering a double-taper or nymphing taper for another reel. I feel it may offer a bit more accuracy in tighter quarters.

The Amplitude Trout line seems too expensive for my tastes as it will go onto a $13 reel. Their SA Mastery Trout Series is more economical and has a more metered taper than many of their lines.

What type of reel capacity do you have? My reels don't hold much line.....and almost no backing. While I enjoy these simple clickers maybe I should make a larger capacity reel my next investment instead of line.

I had a Cortland line in the past, I think it was a 444 6WF. It was a decent line, but sold it with a reel. I've heard good things about other lines they have, and generally they are more wallet friendly. The DT would probably be better for what you are looking for and the fishing you seem to do.

I use a lot of rio stuff but not sure what it about there fly lines. I had a Gold which was just okay in my opinion. I have a trout too, but it just feels like throwing a plastic noodle out there (which fair enough thats what it all is). SA is just my more preferred feel and style, I like its suppleness.

I honestly have no idea for my reels. I just gauge the backing and put the line on or use the recommended pound test yardage the manufacture recommends. I have yet to need backing for any fishing, its just a placeholder for my purposes. Maybe that will change with my 8 wt plans in the future.

Edit: Either way they all catch fish. I think with FF we can get too into the weeds with minute and often inane details for the average angler (though its fun and half the sport ironically). Sometimes you try a line and it sucks, other times you use it for every rig possible and you can't tell the difference. What I have learned to do is buy once, cry once, and try everything you possibly can and figure out what works for your style/taste/feel.

Paulson wrote:
Baron wrote:

I had a Cortland line in the past, I think it was a 444 6WF. It was a decent line, but sold it with a reel. I've heard good things about other lines they have, and generally they are more wallet friendly. The DT would probably be better for what you are looking for and the fishing you seem to do.

I use a lot of rio stuff but not sure what it about there fly lines. I had a Gold which was just okay in my opinion. I have a trout too, but it just feels like throwing a plastic noodle out there (which fair enough thats what it all is). SA is just my more preferred feel and style, I like its suppleness.

I honestly have no idea for my reels. I just gauge the backing and put the line on or use the recommended pound test yardage the manufacture recommends. I have yet to need backing for any fishing, its just a placeholder for my purposes. Maybe that will change with my 8 wt plans in the future.

Edit: Either way they all catch fish. I think with FF we can get too into the weeds with minute and often inane details for the average angler (though its fun and half the sport ironically). Sometimes you try a line and it sucks, other times you use it for every rig possible and you can't tell the difference. What I have learned to do is buy once, cry once, and try everything you possibly can and figure out what works for your style/taste/feel.

I have a long distance 'smash and crash' for picking heavy fish out of weeds. Its 8wt cortland 333 (I wish it were 7wt) with no backing......Had to cut off 10' to get it all on the reel. I installed a heavy furled leader and use ox, 1x or 10lb stren for leader. Kind of Clunky but works well. Done
Now where are the heavy fish?:-D
The next one will be for picking panfish carefully out of pocket waters and holes. Plus I usually fish for trout in spring and this will be my go-to rod for the small streams around the lehigh valley. So maybe the DT will help my average with shorter casts. It will be 5 or 6 wt and will be used an a 7.5' 6wt old Wright/Mcgill.

Your edit 'Nailed It'.

As far as cleaning fly lines goes, I do it all the time, almost after every outing and definitely after every warmwater outing. Maybe that’s one of the reasons I haven’t replaced a fly line in eons.

I only use Rio or Sci Anglers lines. I am a stickler for doing what the manufacturer recommends, not some fishing website. ;-) Both manufacturers recommend using PLAIN soap, not dish detergent that is good for cleaning dishes and ducks, but not much else because it dries out stuff and is too harsh.

I have two plain sponges that I use for nothing but cleaning fly lines. I put some warm water in two small buckets, soap up one sponge with Ivory bar soap and pull JUST THE PORTION of the fly line I used AND MY LEADER (if it is a furled leader) through the soapy sponge a few times. Then, I use the other sponge with clean water, pull it through once or twice and dry it off with a paper towel. It takes about 2 minutes.

If there is embedded grit (obviously more noticeable on a light colored line), I’ll use either a Rio Wonder Cloth or a Sci Anglers Cleaning Pad with soap & water and run the line through until the girt is gone. Both are micro abrasive and safe to use on fly lines, however, I only use the Rio cloth on Rio lines and the Sci Angler pad on Sci Angler lines, just to be sure.

Most manufacturers will recommend applying a dressing afterwards. I do that as well the next morning after the line has completely dried using the recommended dressing for the line I cleaned. After I apply the dressing as recommended I spool up the line.

I will add the some kind of line winder makes this all a lot easier, but if you don’t have kids or cats, you can just lay the line on the floor while cleaning and letting it dry overnight.

I have Rio lines that are close to 20 years old that cast and float like a dream and some Sci Angler lines not far behind. I haven’t replaced a fly line in years or turned around a double taper since I stared using them back in the early 2000's so I must be doing something right.

I'll also add that another benefit besides saving money to getting years out of a fly line is suppleness. The oldest fly lines I own are the most supple and relaxed lines I own with ZERO memory!

If you don't like stiff lines, you owe it to yourself to try taking care of one and getting a few years out of it.

Wow, thanks, you're like your full-time employee. I was wondering about laying it out to dry because I have a cat that loves to chew on fishing line. Yuck. maybe an old gun rack or something will do the trick. It would seem to me that dressing would help allot.

Baron wrote:
Wow, thanks, you're like your full-time employee. I was wondering about laying it out to dry because I have a cat that loves to chew on fishing line. Yuck. maybe an old gun rack or something will do the trick. It would seem to me that dressing would help allot.

No need to lay it out to dry, reel it in with a dry cloth.

Here is a video from Rio showing how to clean your fly lines below.

It's pretty simple > two buckets, warm water, mild soap and a clean soft cloth.

Very nice. Helpful. Thanks.

I like to stretch my fly lines out in the yard to clean them, which seems easier to me.

I have nails put into the side of the house, and my shed.
Hook the welded loop onto the one nail.
And run the line out to the other, and attach by winding the line 6 - 8 times around it firmly.

Wipe it with small amount of dish soap water on a small rag - rinse, and let dry.
Then put whatever brand of dressing on, and let hang overnight.
Makes it cast like new again

I may try that on my shed above where my cats could reach.

This link may give you some other ideas:

Another thing, one of hazards of cleaning a fly line is inadvertently tripping over your fly line or somehow accidentally pulling a nice reel on the floor and damaging it while you are cleaning a line.

Because I take really good care of my gear, I have always dreaded that happening so I have a set up that secures my reel to SOMETHING while I am cleaning my lines.

Without getting into a whole lot of details, just the butt section of an old discarded (or broken ;-)) fly rod is perfect. Just figure out a way to secure that old butt section to a table or something and you are set.

Nice JuryRig fly winder. I think any rod seat will do as long as the rod fits it. I have a bunch of spinning outfits I may try. I don't take good care of my gear and that is why initiated this topic. I can tell that my lines don't cast like new anymore. Just last nite I got one at 10pm and did not clean anything. put the rod into the tube, cranked up the reel and put it in my pack and just went to bed. An easy method of cleaning will encourage me to use it more.

Good article about cleaning your fly line here > https://swiftflyfishing.com/blogs/news/how-to-clean-a-fly-line?fbclid=IwAR2Q3KAZ3ztcYW-sjmwWkarLMmtqF5FTJ6MWSjnDr_y4szY1hEfrgErkpT0

This seems easy enough plus it answered three questions: 1) is it okay to use dish detergent (no). 2) is it okay to use armoral as treatment (no). 3) may I use silicone (yes).

Nice Article, Thanks Afish.

Back