Fly Line

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

What fly line are you guys throwing for bass? I'm building a 9' 8wt for smallies and am unsure what fly line I'll be putting on this rod. Any suggestions?

I typically use a standard, no frills WF floating line for almost all my river bass fishing.

It is helpful to have a good, full sinking line as a backup as well, but I don't use it much.

Disclaimer: I'm not a gear guy and have never paid much attention to the latest trends in rod or fly line design.

Yeah I am just looking for a floating WF line. Even for my higher end fly gear I use the Cortland 333+ fly line. I am hard on fly line and I haven't seen the benefits of using higher end line. 90% of my casting is roll casting when trout fishing and I've found that the 333+ roll casts the nicest for me plus I like that olive green color. I'm willing to invest in some line for this bass rod if its really going to benefit.

I have found that the Orvis WF-F Bank Shot line is a great smallie line. It does a great job of getting the more wind-resistant bass flies out there.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I have found that the Orvis WF-F Bank Shot line is a great smallie line. It does a great job of getting the more wind-resistant bass flies out there.

Wow that stuff isn't cheap!

What kind of flies are you usually throwing?

I agree with Cowboy Orvis Bank Shot is a great line

I've used the expensive "shark skin" type lines and the cheapest lines out there. The "pebbled" finish lines do give you more distance. Mine lasted about 2 years before it was cracked beyond compare, that is with some rough fishing in silt and mud conditions, rocks, etc.

Currently I'm using a pretty standard Scientific Anglers WF 8wt. line. I can throw it about as far as I can throw it, which sometimes isn't far enough. But it's holding up better than the textured lines.

You can sometimes use current to extend your drift, but for targeting long distance risers the textured lines give you the extra casting distance. I may consider dropping the big bucks on some of it for next season since my tendonitis in my elbow is making casting the 8wt less than comfortable.

Also I would say it depends upon your style of fishing. I like dry fly and popper fishing. You don't usually need to cast that far for bass.

As far as durability I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions. I wish I could recommend the style of Scientific Anglers line that I have on now but it's been on for so long I forget.

Quite honestly I have no idea what flies I'm going to be throwing for smallies. Probably some clousers, buggers, some poppers. I'm just getting into the smallie fly fishing so I'll be experimenting. I tie all my own flies so I'll be making a few of everything.

I have two reels for my 8wt. One has run of the mill WFF the other has rio outbound short intermediate sink. I like the rio because I can pick it up and shoot it 60 ft with no effort and no false casts. Pretty much casts like a spinning rod and is a breeze to fish all day with. With low, slow clear water I'll go with a WFF line though.

Your gonna get addicted to smallies on the fly. I quit trout fishing in April and haven't regretted it for a second.

I use rio gold Wf floating line for my 6w outfit. I also have a sinking line from scientific anglers. I've used alot of cortlands 444 peach lines over the years and always liked them

I'm just going to start with a WF line but probably will get a intermediate sink later down the road to go with it if I like how things go.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I'm just going to start with a WF line but probably will get a intermediate sink later down the road to go with it if I like how things go.

Good plan, start with a floating WF line. If need be, you can attach a sinking poly leader loop-to-loop on your floating line, but most often a floating line will do the job.

You may want to try the "Bass Taper" lines out there. They are tapered to turn over the bigger bass flies.

I actually use my Salmon/Steelhead line for both bass fishing and steelies on my 10' 7wt. The S/S line has a longer head for aerializing more line thus getting more distance. It also turns over bigger flies.

Look out though, you'll find that bass have class and decide the trout are out!!

Anyone have any experience with the Cortland Big Shot line? Seems like something that might work for me.

afishinado what is the steelhead/salmon line you are running?

The Orvis Bank Shot is expensive, but there are similar lines out there that you might be able to find at a discount when the manufacturers revamp the line. I know RIO, SA, and Airflo all have lines with longer, slightly heavier floating heads to deliver poppers and other wind-resistant flies. And while many don't think you need to cast far to catch smallies, right now on the Susky would probably prove to be tough if you're not getting 75' or so. The water is very low and clear as gin. You can get them to eat a popper if you can get it to them without them seeing you. I have been using a 10' leader.

The reason these lines are better is the grain weight. The salmon/steelhead line Afish is talking about doesn't have the same effect as the bank shot. A regular WF8F is going to have around 210 grains in the head. The salmon/steelhead 8wt line also is around 210 grains. The Bank Shot, however, for WF8F, is nearly 300 grains. That's the kind of line you want, one with 50% more grain weight at the head and still a floater. Believe me, they cast like a rocket with much less false casting.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
The Orvis Bank Shot is expensive, but there are similar lines out there that you might be able to find at a discount when the manufacturers revamp the line. I know RIO, SA, and Airflo all have lines with longer, slightly heavier floating heads to deliver poppers and other wind-resistant flies. And while many don't think you need to cast far to catch smallies, right now on the Susky would probably prove to be tough if you're not getting 75' or so. The water is very low and clear as gin. You can get them to eat a popper if you can get it to them without them seeing you. I have been using a 10' leader.

The reason these lines are better is the grain weight. The salmon/steelhead line Afish is talking about doesn't have the same effect as the bank shot. A regular WF8F is going to have around 210 grains in the head. The salmon/steelhead 8wt line also is around 210 grains. The Bank Shot, however, for WF8F, is nearly 300 grains. That's the kind of line you want, one with 50% more grain weight at the head and still a floater. Believe me, they cast like a rocket with much less false casting.

Would you say the bank shot is like a rio outbound ?

bigjohn58 wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Cortland Big Shot line? Seems like something that might work for me.

afishinado what is the steelhead/salmon line you are running?

http://www.orvis.com/p/hydros-salmon-steelhead/2ASC?item_code=2ASC2108&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-2ASC-_-127748&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjdLOBRCkARIsAFj5-GDkYXh9C_39cJw25cnNVy3o-h-IGI8y90x0q7TKx5GM5LWsPo7hZrkaAo0gEALw_wcB

Air-Cel......it is cheap and works wonderfully. I currently use Rio Mainstream Bass but when it is worn out I'll be going back to good old Air-Cel. It is quite seriously my favorite line..

Fred-

The RIO Outbound Short 8 wt is 315 grains, so, yeah, it's going to cast very similar to the Bank Shot. The key is having that extra weight--having the same weight in grains (200) just spread out over a longer head isn't going to get you much of anything different.

Fred-

The RIO Outbound Short 8 wt is 315 grains, so, yeah, it's going to cast very similar to the Bank Shot. The key is having that extra weight--having the same weight in grains (200) just spread out over a longer head isn't going to get you much of anything different.

Back