Fly line with loop at the end for backing

MathFish

MathFish

I got some expensive ($100) fly line at a deep discount ($25). Just recently I spooled it onto my reel and found that it had a loop on the end that connects to the backing and I wasn't sure what its purpose was. I figured it was for people who couldn't tie a nail knot so that you could just tie the backing to the fly line line by using a clinch knot or something like that...

Being that I know how to tie a nail knot, I cut off the fly line loop and joined the backing to the fly line with a nail knot. The next day is I was thinking that it was pretty silly of manufacturers to put a loop on the back end of fly line that might end up just being cut off. I was curious enough about this loop to "Google" its purpose. What I found was that I guess if you tie a perfection loop in the backing so that you end up with a loop that is about 6 inches or so in diameter, you can use a loop-to-loop connection by passing the entire spool of fly line through this loop...

This method kind of seems "cheap" to me, or kind of like cheating... I put some time into practicing to be able to tie a nail knot and found, that as with anything, the more you practice, the easier it is to tie. I actually enjoy tying nail knots now.

So, what do you think, is it better to connect to backing via a nail knot or using a loop to loop if the line comes with a loop? Or, is it, to each their own? I'm wondering if I was stupid to cut off that loop from the line that originally sold for $100...

I do realize that I will probably never get into my backing on my 4 weight so the strength of the knots is probably moot...

I use loop to loop for backing, leaders, etc. all the time.

It's pretty standard for heavier lines used for SW or Salmon to have a loop on the back end of the fly line. I tie a bimini loop at the end of the backing, run the loop through the fly line loop and over the spool of fly line. It is stronger than any knot and allows an angler to easily change lines without knots.

I also nail knot the backing because it's easier / cheaper to buy spare spools for my reels. Lol.

I just use improved clinch to the rear loop on the line. It doesn't shoot through the guides as easy as the nail knot method but I don't cast that far.

Back in the days of silk lines, you removed your entire line from the spool after a day's fishing to let it dry out. You'd be doing a lot of nail knotting if you did that every time.

I don't fish silk, but I do turn double tapers around. A loop-to-loop connection is a real convenience. If a line doesn't come with a loop, I often add one before installing the line.

MathFish wrote:
I do realize that I will probably never get into my backing on my 4 weight so the strength of the knots is probably moot...

Pretty sure you answered your own question.

I cut it and use an Albright knot. Afishinados suggestion is the best though, especially if you deal with shooting heads.

MathFish wrote:.

This method kind of seems "cheap" to me, or kind of like cheating... I put some time into practicing to be able to tie a nail knot and found, that as with anything, the more you practice, the easier it is to tie. I actually enjoy tying nail knots now.

So, what do you think, is it better to connect to backing via a nail knot or using a loop to loop if the line comes with a loop? Or, is it, to each their own? I'm wondering if I was stupid to cut off that loop from the line that originally sold for $100...

You can do it whatever way you want but the whole notion that it is cheating to use loop-to-loop is looney toon territory for me.

The loops do make things easier and quicker and I have taken advantage for them to quickly change out line, and then later change back. Is it a big deal to have or not have welded loops in the back end? No it isn't. In fact, it is humorous to even see a thread about it.

I cut it and use an Albright knot. Afishinados suggestion is the best though, especially if you deal with shooting heads.

So...you cut off the loop...and in the very first step of what you do next...you make a loop?

Tie your Albright knot in the loop. It alleviates having to trim a little from your line.

LOL. If you are using an Albright knot, there is no reason to cut the loop (as I just learned).

If a loop to loop is cheating, is a graphite rod cheating too? Glass rods? Even cane rods? Goretex waders? I see it as advancement not cheating. Otherwise we'd all be using the same gear that was used hundreds of years ago.

I also picked up one of those $100 lines on sale. The differing colors and textures are cheating IMO, but the stuff works (or so I hope). Not sure if I'll even be able to cast it before spring. Just throw a couple granny knots on the back loop and reel it on. Very likely it will never see daylight.......says the guy that feeds 50' of backing out trying to drift my fly to a fish I have no business fishing to. Lol. One of these days my knot will fail and I'll lose the entire fly line.

phiendWMD wrote:
If a loop to loop is cheating, is a graphite rod cheating too? Glass rods? Even cane rods? Goretex waders? I see it as advancement not cheating. Otherwise we'd all be using the same gear that was used hundreds of years ago.

My golfing buddies think my long overdue purchase of a modern Callaway driver to replace my 1998 Great Big Bertha is definitely cheating. But I don't care! They had continually been gaining distance on me over the years to the point where although I could generally still score lower than them, they were all longer than me off the tee. Nearly 20 years of driver technology changed that fast...I was naïve in ignoring it for so long, especially considering the new driver is more accurate and forgiving too.

With the exception of tippet, I loop to loop everything these days. Way easier, way faster, way more convenient when the need arises to change up a leader or line, and I guess I'm not good enough to notice any decrease in performance.

I like to loop to loop my fly line to the back so I can switch it out easier. I like to fool around with different line/rod/reel set-ups so it makes it super easy.

Which $100 lines are $25?

Cabelas were clearing out SI Sharkwave lines a couple weeks ago. I picked up a 5 wt. GPX for the same price.

Will a loop slip through the eyes of your rod easier than a knot.Not a big fan of being into my backing when having a big one on but it does happen and have had my knot catch the eyes of my rod on the way out.

Back