Fly Line selection?

Ramcatt wrote:
that wonderline will make for a really nice sink tip

It won't when I cut that loop off and seal it up.

RLeeP wrote:
I think it important to decide if we are fishing or casting. If the former, virtually any fly line (so long as it is not level and is matched to the rod)

I mostly fish, so I don't pay much for fly lines...

i do most of my fishing with level lines.i love them.i can usually get a decent cast and they roll cast better(for me)than a WF line.

i have bought level lines for as cheap as $6 in the past few years.

i do use premium lines too,when i need a taper.and i admit if i am unfamiliar with a stream i will bring a tapered line.but for every day known stream chuckin' i use a level line.

shakey wrote:
RLeeP wrote:
I think it important to decide if we are fishing or casting. If the former, virtually any fly line (so long as it is not level and is matched to the rod)

I mostly fish, so I don't pay much for fly lines...

i do most of my fishing with level lines.i love them.i can usually get a decent cast and they roll cast better(for me)than a WF line.

i have bought level lines for as cheap as $6 in the past few years.

i do use premium lines too,when i need a taper.and i admit if i am unfamiliar with a stream i will bring a tapered line.but for every day known stream chuckin' i use a level line.

Actually guys... I somewhat agree. That's why I was trying to sort through all the hype.

I fished level lines for many years. Once I tried a good DT, I preferred it to the level lines, as I felt it was a bit more versatile, but still pretty simple and straight forward like the level.

If I didn't buy my new rod to double as a river small mouth rod, I probably would have gone back to a DT on the rod it is replacing. A good weight forward line will give me a little extra distance that will come in handy on a big river.

I too like to keep it simple and spend my time fishing... not changing lines and leaders. With that said, I need a line that's pretty versatile.

NorthBranch wrote:
Ramcatt wrote:
that wonderline will make for a really nice sink tip

It won't when I cut that loop off and seal it up.

... and then set it on a shelf

that line is notorious for its lack of floatingness

ALSO
at no point would i ever consider buying, much less fishing a level line
why are you guys using it?
or is it just because its super cheap

I heard the same thing. It great for the first few times out and then it stops floating.

level lines can be great for casting bass bugs.

Ramcatt wrote:

... and then set it on a shelf

that line is notorious for its lack of floatingness

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm going to try a furled leader with it, so I'll probably need to dress the leader for dry fly fishing... I can certainly dress the tip of the line too. I fish mostly nymphs, wets, emergers, and streamers. So, the "sink tip" may actually be an asset.

For $30, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I will use the line. :-D

Back