Fly Line, Czech nymph

brianb

brianb

I am looking for a new fly line to string up the Grey's streamflex 10ft 4 wt I am purchasing. I want it to work well with this rod and be useful for czech/euro nymphing. I have looked at the Rio Indicator which is used to toss indicators and they recommend it for czech nymphing. It is my understanding that an indicator like a thingamabobber is not used in czech nymphing so I was a little confused.

Does anyone have any advice/opinions on fly lines that would work well with this rod and style of fishing?

Price is not a huge issue as I will not be paying for it most likely.

I have that same exact rod and I use Rio Gold or Rio Trout LT, depending on how I will be fishing for the day. I have also used a full sinking 4wt line without much trouble. I may try a 5wt DT this weekend, just to see what happens with overlining it. If I do I will let you know how it goes.

Tuna,

Brian's gonna be there. Why don't you let him try it too? :lol:

Not knowing a damned thing has never stopped me before, so with that disclaimer I add...

I'd think if European/straight line nymphing is going to be the focus here, a DT line makes much more sense than a WF line. You won't be casting far, if at all, so the ability to filth up and torture the first 10' of line, then turn it around and do it on the back half of the line next season (or, whatever) buys you twice as long as with a WF.

The tapers are probably close enough for the first portion, WF vs DT, that any sort of vendorspeak for "turning over heavy flies" is so much hot air, anyways.

If it were me, and it was going to be all close-up fishin' like I assume, then I'd just buy a bargain DT line and be done with it. I'd also probably choose a relatively generic colour, not a dayglo and not a dark one, to strike the happy medium of being stealthy. Since using an inline indicator (Amnesia, Stren Gold, etc) seems to be part of the tackle, you might as well rely on that and not a floursecent orange plastic line.

Remember, the Poles who brought this to the forefront did it with whatever garbage they could scrounge up, and they did it very well. Its not about having high end, speciality tackle as much as it is about getting up in there and being aware of what's going on.

When I know I'm going to nymph a tight stream, I use 1 weight higher. The higher wieght allows the rod to load earlier and double taper is supposedly better for roll casting.

I would think a 5wt DT line would be perfect; any brand. Expect to have th eline for awhile, because not a whole lot of it will be on the water so it shouldn't get cracked. DT will just give you double the life.

Don't get to caught up on gimmicks like special line; well unless you want to.

The line isn't very important for euro style nymphing. As you probably know, the taper you're going to be using for casting is in your leader. Euro-nymphing leaders are usually 15-40ft long and tapered from heavy mono down to your sighter, then tippet material from the sighter to the flies. Most of the time your line isn't going to be off the spool, especially if you're doing czech style nymphing. For the more casting intensive styles (french and spanish) you're still not going to have more than a few feet of line out.

I would just use an older fly line in the appropriate weight and have the person who would buy you this line get you some line for casting dries.

regular floating fly line with about 5-6 ' of 25 maxima chameleon nail knotted to a 5-6' piece of 20 lb maxima , then 8" of high vis amnesia red , 8" high vis chart green , then tippet ring then terminal tippet , fluor preferably !!!

why not just load a spool up with mono?

The line isn't very important for euro style nymphing

This.

Brian, if you want to try the indicator line I have it in a five weight that I used to use on the Streamflex that Tuna has. If you want to try it, I will send it with Jay tomorrow. Hmmmm, how can I include Jerry in this thread? Oh, that's right he doesn't like nymphing so he does not belong in this fred. Go away Jerry, go away!

Really, when it comes to Czech any floating fly line is fine as you really don't want the line in the water. It's really not that important. On the Stremflex, as advised, the rod doubles as a decent dry fly rod so I would suggest something other than a heavy forward weighted indicator line. If you really want to get into Czech nymphing you want to focus on your coiled hi-vis indicator, keeping in contact with your rig and most importantly your stealth in approaching promising water.

I always feel left out when all of paff gets together to fish and I dont get invited :(

I always feel left out when all of paff gets together to fish and I dont get invited :(

You went away for so long. We missed you. Come to Reading and drink strong beer after turkey tomorrow.

jdaddy wrote:

You went away for so long. We missed you. Come to Reading and drink strong beer after turkey tomorrow.

I was pissed about the whole Sight being banned thing. I wish I could but I have to work at 7am friday morning. Come fish Martins creek or the LL on sunday?

I was pissed about the whole Sight being banned thing. I wish I could but I have to work at 7am friday morning. Come fish Martins creek or the LL on sunday?

Could probably happen. PM details please. We can invite Becker.

jdaddy wrote:
Hmmmm, how can I include Jerry in this thread? Oh, that's right he doesn't like nymphing so he does not belong in this fred. Go away Jerry, go away!

Well, you included it by qouting me.

I may think its boring (seriously, duder up there said 40' of leader...40?! c'mon!), but I still retain enough useless knowledge to unleash hell on threads.

I am the king of nickel knowledge. Well, was.. drugs and alchohol have taken their sweet toll.

jdaddy wrote:

Could probably happen. PM details please. We can invite Becker.

Is it you who called me from Reading today?

Huh.

Someday I'll check voicemail, maybe. I'm closing in on 30 messages in the queue over the last 3 months, figure I'll clean 'em out at the end of the year.

You guys do the LL, let me know. Martin's is debatable. I suspect I should be home being a fatherly guy on Sunday, but LL is way doable anyways coz its close.

Then we can go roll egg sacks for 'bows on Cedar, and have a shore lunch.

I have heard about your type. You make an awesome lunch?

I got some egg sacks my Dad had left over from Salmon River. Not sure those highly selective Cedar troups will eat them though. They are tuned in to a very specific sized and color pellet. We can lift the hell out of them though.

Yea just let me know what you guys decide.

jdaddy wrote:

I have heard about your type. You make an awesome lunch?

I got some egg sacks my Dad had left over from Salmon River. Not sure those highly selective Cedar troups will eat them though. They are tuned in to a very specific sized and color pellet. We can lift the hell out of them though.

I don't even know how to clean a fish.

They're rainbows, You give 'em those sacks on 7x or lighter, hell yes they'll eat it. They can't help it, they're programmed stockie bows.

Then you can fight steelhead sized fish on a 6' wide creek on 7x tippet and take hero shots when you're done, and not evne feel bad if they die from over exertion because they're not supposed to even be there.

So, that said, who's up for Cedar steelies Sunday? Yeah, I know, I just stole your thunder, Alpo, but I think this would be a real hoot.

I stopped by there with one of my employees one day after we had finished up a job. He brought his spinning rod, you know with 12lb test, etc. Typical hilljack approach. Anyway, he threw all kinds of stuff at them, all while under the close watch of the river keeper. While he was getting skunked I drove to LL hatchery and picked up a bag o' pellets. Those fish literally would not eat those pellets because they were the wrong size and color. Stuff he feeds them looks like dog food though he says it is not.

Back