Fly ID help

joshua.mensinger

Yesterday I was fishing on Lycoming Creek north of Williamsport and there were alot of trout feeding on very small (maybe size 20-24) white flies that were on the water. Most of them were spent and floating down the creek for most of the afternoon. Didn't see a fly in the air. Most of the trout were making very slow subtle rises to take the small white flies however there were several fish completely coming out of the water assuming taking some kind of emerger. Didn't see any caddis or slate drakes in the air at all. Thoughts on what may have been going on? It was very sunny and almost 80 degrees although the area I was fishing was in the shade the entire time as it was right up against the mountain. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Judging by size and color, I would say you hit a trico spinner fall.

Is that common this time of the year? I thought they were more mid to late summer. I was on PIne Creek about a week ago and same situation where alot of fish were rising, just sipping bugs off the top and I never even saw the bugs...maybe the same scenario. It was another very warm (80 ish) Sunny afternoon. If they were Tricos - do you have a recommended pattern - not sure my old eyes can tie a fly that small anymore!

Thanks for the input.

I saw cream midges on Penn's a week ago that seemed more like a size 30. They were not on the water, however. I think the few rising fish were taking very small blue quills about the size you described. The only fish I got takes on off the top were on a size 18 parachute that had grayish blue body and cream hackle.

Though most hatch charts don't mention them, there are a number of tiny mayflies besides tricos this time of year. Bronze, brown and cream can be seen, and sizes typically #28 or smaller. Creamy white ones in particular can have biblical spinner falls in late afternoon to evening.

Back