Fly fishing Oregon in August

Acristickid

Acristickid

Any suggestions?

I know very little about fly fishing OR. Fished Deschutes for 2 days about 6 years ago and that's about it.

Probably be there sometime between Aug 5 to August 15th give or take a few days.

I am particularly interested in catching native fish if that helps. Thanks in advance, Paul.

Sorry, I can't help but I'm just about to post a very similar thread, though for WA. Good luck.

Oregon is a big place, allot depends on where you're going. Is it solely a fishing trip, or are you going to be there on business and have to fish over the weekend?
Study the regs, they are as I remember pretty complicated, unless you are practicing C & R. Maybe Oregon Owl with chime in, he's in Eugene.

Chaz- it's a leisure trip without too many constraints.

Willamette River
Metolius River
Willow/Whitehorse creeks if not to difficult.

I am interested in pursing native fish- in particular Coastal Cutthroat, Willow/Whitehorse cutthroats. Possible some red band rainbows.

I will enter OR from the east central ID and exit OR in Southern OR in route to the northern coast of CA to visit friends.

Thanks for any help. Paul

I did Metolius River then the Mackenzie river by that route great places to fish then. green drake could show then.

acristickid wrote:

Willow/Whitehorse creeks if not to difficult.

I haven't been there, but a friend of mine has. From his info, I think that it might be very hot there in the eastern Oregon desert in August. And he said those streams get very low. They'd probably be best to fish in spring, before the extreme heat sets in.

In August, it might be best to be fairly high up in the Cascades, where the air and water are cool. There are cutts in some of the streams flowing off the west side of the Cascades.

The Owhyee river on the ID OR border, near boise, is a must stop. The John Day River is a great smallie fishery, some say best in the west. I had good luck catching red bands down river from Maupin. Cory Cordell has a great shop in Bend has is a great guide. I also spent 1 day fishing for sturgeon on the Columbia and it was one of the best trips I every had. How often do you have a chance to catch 8 - 9 ft 300lb fish?

http://www.deschutesriveranglers.com/Steelhead.html

Thanks for the suggestions. Second person this week who suggested the Owhyee. Tailgater big Browns - thought I got my full of that on the Ruby river last week. Ha. Is the Owhyee a nymphing affair?

I know OR has drought problems but checking around most of the waters I have in mind are not operating on limited hours which is good

Fished Maupin 6 years ago, gonna try some different areas. First step to waist , next step to top of waters. Wild River there.

Prob be there 2nd through 3rd week of August- I'm done here on the Henry's fork at the end of the month.

I think the Chetco River and some other streams in the same area look very interesting.

You can Google up images of the Chetco River and see lots of rocks and rapids, a gorgeous looking stream.

Most of the reports are about salmon and steelhead in the lower river, but there are a few reports of fishing for resident trout in those upper rocky rapid places.

We went out to visit friends in Central Oregon (near Redmond..) every year for about a decade from the mid 90’s on. Usually we went in September, but made the trip in August a couple times.

August can be tough out there, at least in the places that I’m familiar with. The east side of the Cascades is high desert and it gets hot, really hot. I always did OK fish wise, though. You just have to pick your times and places.

If you have to go out in August, here are some potential destinations all within 2-3 hours of Bend/Redmond.
1) I’d forget about the main Deschutes, even though the headwaters (above Crane Prairie) and the top of the really big water (below Pelton Dam and down through Mecca Flats, etc.) will have decent water temps. Except for an hour or two in the evening or morning, you’ll broil your brain.
2) The Metolius is a good choice. Mostly wooded and even in the hottest part of August, I’ve never taken a water temp over 55F. I’d stay on the upper 10 miles or so of it, above what the locals call the “Gorge”. It isn’t that big, but it can be a mean river to wade with lots of very deep slots, etc. The upper Metolius, especially from around Camp Sherman up is a lot more friendly and there are plenty of fish. This is also the busiest section of the river, though. The fish are not easy. It is about the most technically difficult river I’ve ever fished and can be stingy. It also may be the most beautiful river of its size I’ve ever been on.
3) The Fall River that runs into the Deschutes not too far out of Sunriver Resort south of Bend is has decent fishing and reliable water temps. There is public lands access upstream from the state hatchery which is about at the midpoint on the river. Mostly big, wide and shallow flatwater and the fish will be buried in the stream bank grass.
4) If (and it is a big if..) you hit a cool or cloudy period, the BLM section of the Crooked River below Bowman Dam near Prineville is a nice Little J sized river with a wild redsides population that varies from good to fantastic depending on the year. Most of the fish are smaller though and you’ll catch a lot more under a foot than over. In the right years, there are piles of them though.
But If the weather is the usual sunny and hot, don’t bother with the Crooked. The fishing will s--- and you’ll be bitten by three rattlesnakes in the 90 minutes it takes you to die of heat stroke.
5) Even in August, the McKenzie is worth fishing. A very beautiful river and it stays cold. Try the section around Paradise Campground for mixed wild/stocked bows and cuts. Its all humpy/stimulator water and can be a lot of fun. The McKenzie tribs in the upper watershed can also fish good for smaller cutts, even in hot weather. One decent one is the South Fork of the McKenzie above Cougar Dam, but virtually any of them can be worth fishing.
All this info is contingent on how they are doing in general with the west coast drought, something that I haven’t kept track of. All in all, it might be better if you could go in mid September though...

Thanks for the info gents. Yea, I appreciate shade a great deal.

Looks very scenic out there. Unfortunately , it has to be August.

See my post on the main forum, Oregon has shut down trout and salmon fishing as the drought out west worsens.

Yes, I saw that. Lots water shut down but fortunately I found a few that are remaining open.

Gonna miss the Willow Whitehorse Cutt which I was looking forward to pursuing.

Owyhee craziest place I ever fly fished. Like fishing on Mars. Air temps 99-104. Whoo. Lots of tricos but missed the fall. The fish attacked small nymphs rising to surface. Zebra midge was a hit.

Well all the info you guys have had been right on.

Metolius- crazy beauty. Caught the skunk tho. Like a Disney stream. So blue it's hard to believe.

Crazy looking stream bottom on Metolius. I wanted to fish that stream when I was there, but I ran out of time. Is the top pic Deschutes?

Note: I edited the picture post so the above references the SECOND picture, not the top one.

Mostly agree with RLeep2. Did OK on the Crooked in August 2 years ago when I was there, mostly small fish. Water cold, easy wading (though slippery).

Middle fork of the Willamette below Hills Creek Dam is very good, with decent size rainbows.

The Malheur River in Central Oregon below the tailwater (Warm Springs Reservoir) is supposed to have exceptional sized rainbows that chase streamers. I have not been there but TU guys told me, so it must be true? August heat may put a damper on fishing except early AM and late PM afternoons/evenings...

Enjoy the trip, sorry for the late report.

Happy to be in OR where it's finally cool. The Willamette National Foreat is great with its cool shade from huge trees. Temps 45 in the am rising to high 70's. Water is freezing. All waters in OR seem like a bear to wade.

The McKenzie is an absolute beautiful River , brawler to wade.

Maybe I'll check out some of those waters. Crooked was ok , heatwave broke and was cloudy all day the day I hit it. Water freezing there too.

No Deschutes on this trip

South fork of Mckenzie- beautiful water and surroundings.

Never worked so hard for 6-9 natives. Caught only wild rainbows with adipose fins.

Easier wade then main stem for sure.

Back