Fly Fishing on PA Lakes

Wetfly01

Wetfly01

Over the years of reading the Warm Water forums I see mostly everyone pretty much fishes for bass in our rivers and not talking to much about fly fishing on our lakes. Was wondering if there are any members out there that are chasing largemouths and pike on our lakes with flies.

For the last two and half years during the summer months I have been targeting a couple of lakes in western PA for largemouths and pike with some pretty good success. Throwing some big articulating flies and top water flies with 8wt rods. Looking for some members to share some insight on there experiences out there on the lakes.

For myself its definitely been a learning experience being a diehard trout fisherman. I found its a great way to fill the void of the summer mouths when your giving the trout a break.

I fish allot of slow moving tidal areas from a kayak once the water warms up a bit I am primarily targeting snakeheads but I due have some by catch of bass . I plan on doing the pike thing more this fall I also do a bit of saltwater from the kayak as well .

I spend a lot of time in my kayak on lakes in my area.
I fished up until this year with a 5 wt, floating line, using mostly foam poppers and deer hair poppers for bass and panfish. I would also use underwater stuff, but really like top water fishing.
This year I got a sinking line to try deeper water. I also got an 8 wt. and am starting to use bigger flies. My last 2 sessions with that rod though have really put a kink in my shoulder!
Don't have a lot of insights....I fish pad lines and usually toss up against the bank with surface stuff but will search other water if nothing is happening that way.
I would post some pics but they are all on my phone and I am too bus...lazy to figure out how to post them!
Have at it and enjoy.
I also prefer real early and real late in the day.

Most of my fishing this year has been on a couple of lakes in the Poconos either from a boat or from shore. Generally I fish a 9' 6" 6 wgt. I enjoy top water fishing, so I'm throwing poppers, sliders and floating mop flies. Very good year for large sunfish in the 8 to 10 inch range. Bass not so much, one 14 inch and one 19 inch largemouth. Chain pickerel have been scarce for me. Going to be heading up to Poconos again on the 24th. Looking to pick up some bigger fish. I actually plan to bring my 8 wgt with me to throw a couple of the larger poppers I've tied up in the last two weeks. Mostly fish the lakes during the day and in the evening. I like to work shore line structure and the edges of weed beds and lily pads.

I fish lakes with FF gear, but mostly in the springtime. By summer, I'm more focused on creeks and rivers.

The lakes I frequent tend to to be deep and fish, including panfish, tend to be deep and suspended in summer. With that said, some experimenting can be productive for a FFer. Shallower lakes with weeds can produce all summer and tying weedless flies is interesting and fun. Even some of the deep and clear lakes can have bass and large 'gills up along the shoreline early in the am. In my experience, once the sun is up, those fish vacate the shallows for the depths.

Good topic for a thread. We don't talk enough around here about ponds and lakes. I'm interested in hearing what other folks think.

For good or bad, I actually fish mostly lakes or pond. Its all I have with less than a half hour drive. Bluegills, bass. crappie...its what I have. The way I play it isn't what do i have to do to catch fish, I bet I can catch one by doing this...I mean we know what works. Makes it more fun. Come to think of it. I fish that way most of the time.

But I do have a kayak and a couple float tubes. I prefer the tubes to the Yak. Its more intimate, relaxing.

I fish some lakes for musky/pike from my drift boat when the rivers I prefer are blown out, I'm not going to talk specifics about that game.

I also keep a pontoon boat on the Yough reservoir & fish that most summer weekends. No weeds there, deep rock/fallen tree structure or suspended fish. I use sinking lines most often & have only once seen another fly angler on the Yough res. He was in a kayak & it was his first time there. That lake is tough on the spin guys (some call it no fish lake), I think I do pretty good there considering smallies, walleye, northerns & a few chunky streamer eating catfish. That said, this year kind of sucked on the Yough.

I have utilized Google Maps quite a bit to find trenches/troffs/drop offs then I'll target these areas. This especially worked well for hybrids in my local lake.

I know a fellow who pretty much sight fishes for carp in back coves of lakes in very early spring...usually the first week or two of April

I have a lot of experience fly fishing lakes and good fishing can be had all summer long on most lakes. Largemouth Bass often remain shallow around docks, vegetation, etc. I don't fish lakes much anymore because I don't have any very close to where I live.

all the time for bass, pickerel, walleye, anything that swims.

Attachments

• DSCF8039 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF8039 (400x300).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 5
I fished quite a bit on lakes this year. In the summer for pan fish and also when water in creeks was high. I enjoy it a lot. I use 5 to 8 wt rods depending on what flies I throw. Also took my son to a pond a few times to throw some flies at hungry blue gills.

Back