Fly Fishing Near Rock Hall, MD

Mahones41

Mahones41

Hey all,

My dad just bought a new boat and the marina is in Rock Hall, MD. just wondering where the best fishing is near that area. its a sail boat so all of my Fly Fishing will be from the dingy. thank you for any info! Also if there is any trout water near there that would be awesome information as well. Here is the only info i have found on the fresh water side of things. http://www.hookandbullet.com/c/fishing-chestertown-md-streams/ .Thanks for any info.

-Sean

spent part of my childhood and early ff there. just outside you can fish for blues and stripers. most any river will have salt and a mix of freshwater species. choptank, sassafras all have bass, pickeral, blues , stripers. check out the creeks near the mouths as well. no trout in the immediate area, its all brackish water..lots of white perch around fun on a small rod 3-4 wt..and small flies..don't forget the crab traps there are some of largest blue crabs in the world in that area..

In summer try casting poppers or weighted flies- clousers along the shoreline, feeder creeks, timber, points on the rip side, rock jettys or riprap , boat docks, and drop offs.. Around late april or early may the smaller rockfish show up in the chester and lot of them working their way up river. Use white flies and chartruse . don't know how much water you can cover with a tender but wish you luck.

Back