Fly Fishing log?

Good to hear someone else got suckered into trying to catch a trout every month. I've been stuck in the trap for 194 months (16 years, 2 months). It was a great idea at the time. Now it's a curse.

Kidding. Kind of. It gets you out fishing. That is the positive aspect of "the streak". The negative impact is sometimes I feel like I'm fishing just for the streak. It takes away from the true enjoyment fishing gives me. I try to catch my monthly trout early in the month so all trips after that are for the fishing. Not the streak.

I just can't stop trying for it though. Too far into it. I think it would bum me out if it would end. It truly is a curse :)
I hear ya on the “curse” part but agree that it’s motivated to get me out even more so that I’m not just out to catch a fish. You’ve gotten much farther than me! Nice work. At the end of the day I try and chalk up keeping the streak alive to keeping my sanity amidst a crazy world we live in.

I've been keeping a log for over 30 years. I find it helpful to look at previous years to see what hatched and when. I also record wildlife I've seen and anything else that I consider interesting for others to read when I'm gone.

Always thought I should keep a log and each spring I vowed to start. Well, a quarter century later I still haven’t.… though I do have stack of calendars that I mark days spent fishing, grouse hunting, and memorable catches. Better than nothing I guess, though some trips are probably best left to the dustbin of history - like last weekend on Penns. Tough sledding for sure.

Good to hear someone else got suckered into trying to catch a trout every month. I've been stuck in the trap for 194 months (16 years, 2 months). It was a great idea at the time. Now it's a curse.

Kidding. Kind of. It gets you out fishing. That is the positive aspect of "the streak". The negative impact is sometimes I feel like I'm fishing just for the streak. It takes away from the true enjoyment fishing gives me. I try to catch my monthly trout early in the month so all trips after that are for the fishing. Not the streak.

I just can't stop trying for it though. Too far into it. I think it would bum me out if it would end. It truly is a curse :)
I did the "trout a month " for two years. The second year I did a trout from a different stream every month, it forced me to try some different streams than I normally fish, which was good. It does become a curse! This year I am trying to catch a trout on a dry fly for every month of the year, so far so good, but I'm not an experienced dry fly angler.

Back