Fly Fishing Instruction

J

Jopane

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the site and to the forum and am looking for some advise.

A couple years ago my husband decided to take up fly fishing and I attempted to sign him up for classes/instruction at Keystone College. They cancelled the class.

I would like to sign him up for classes/instruction and a day away with "the guys" to relax but I can't seem to find anything in the area of Scranton and surrounding for a reasonable amount of money.

Could someone please let me know what/where to look into such a class and who to stay away from.

Thanks all!

Hi Jopane and welcome to the forum.

Very experienced members of this forum are organizing a free instructional get together for newbies and novices. It will be at and/or near the Little Lehigh in Allentown.

There will probably be more than one and I don't have the dates yet but I'm sure the date(s) and other details will be announced shortly and probably within this thread.

Hi Jopane,

A&G in ****son City offers private instruction for a fee($25/hr). In July they usually offer Orvis promo free instruction.

I know a guy in Mayfield that guides, he may also offer instruction. I can find out.

We also have 3 or 4 newbie get togethers through this forum. That would be perfect for him but it would involve driving a bit.

And if he is desperate enough I can try to help. I'm about 30 minutes from Scranton and fish the Lack regularly, even in winter (but not this week!). There are other people on this forum in the area who will see this and probably respond. We're not instructors or even that good necessarily but I'm sure we can try to help.

Do you fish too?

Thanks so much, both of you!
I do fish but haven't tried my hand at Fly Fishing yet, I'm more of a sit in a boat or on the shore and relax and cast fisherwoman! Hahaha I'll keep checking back for further information on upcoming instruction/ get togethers!

RCFetter wrote:
....members of this forum are organizing a free instructional get together for newbies and novices. It will be at and/or near the Little Lehigh in Allentown.

There will probably be more than one and I don't have the dates yet but I'm sure the date(s) and other details will be announced shortly and probably within this thread.

Yes we are! I just got confirmation from the Wildlands Conservancy for this event. The 2013 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (aka Newbie Jam) will be held on Saturday, March 16th, from 8AM until 4PM.

It will consist of two sessions - the classroom and casting instruction will be held at the Wildlands Conservancy's Pool Wildlife Sanctuary from 8AM until noon, and the afternoon on stream session will be held from 2PM to 4PM (or later) on the Little Lehigh in the vicinity of the fly shop.

Look for a post in the next day or so announcing this event (in detail) in the Events forum and the Beginner's forum. :-D

H.A.

Thanks HA, especially for your help last year. I'll be there this year.

Jopane,

Please look in the Events and Meet ups forum for more info on the newbie jam in March. The instruction being given is similar to a group instruction that a fly fly shop would probably charge at least $100 for and easily double that.

And we have a good time at these meet ups.

I learned from the internet. If you're not the kind of person to be able to recognize and correct your own mistakes you can hone your skill w/ the more experienced guys on the site at a meet up.

There's lots of good stuff out there. Google, "orvis learning center".

Lots of good videos w/ casting instruction.

If a group of folks from this site are putting something together to help those new to the sport "Newbie Jam" i don't think you could do much better , if i was you i'd sign up as soon as you can. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I agree with all the suggestions above. Starting with the internet (you tube videos and Orvis learning center) and reading “how to” books is a great way to develop a good foundation. Attend fly fishing education events (newbie jam, events at local fly shops, fly fishing shows, etc.). Hiring a guide is another great way to step up your game. A guided fishing trip is a two for one kind of deal. You get a day or half day of guided fishing, PLUS you get a hell of a fly fishing lesson in the form of "on the job training." Doing is one of the best ways to learn. Guides are not cheap, but based on how much an angler will learn from a guide, there is huge value in the experience. Fly fishing lessons cost as much or more than a guided trip, but I think you get so much more from the guided trip than just a lesson. Plus, you can cut the cost of a guided trip in half by going with another angler. One guided trip can be a game changer for an angler who has limited knowledge and is struggling to improve.

Back