Fly Fishing Getting Started - Knots and the DBK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, the blood for the uninitiated can be a pain but it is vaulable.
(took me alittle while to get proficent at it)

A thing that helped was a block of wood with two nails that are removable- this will really help in tying a good knot and makes it easier to do so.

The blood knot is very helpful for creating droppers too.

I can tie nail knots but not very well and I need the tool (I use the one that looks like a pen) but it is something I only do a couple times a year though. Luckily, I can do tie it in the comfortable enviroment of home.

Felt like child when David tied one for me one day- I probably could have done it but I know he could tie it faster and time was a wastin'.

Triple surgeons too when I am in a hurry.

Been using the improved clinch for line to fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acristickid

A thing that helped was a block of wood with two nails that are removable- this will really help in tying a good knot and makes it easier to do so.

I can tie nail knots but not very well and I need the tool (I use the one that looks like a pen) but it is something I only do a couple times a year though. Luckily, I can do tie it in the comfortable enviroment of home.

Felt like child when David tied one for me one day- I probably could have done it but I know he could tie it faster and time was a wastin'.

Acristickid

slay12345
It always seems I have no problem tying the blood knot at home when I practice on a spool of mono, over and over and over. But when i'm out on the stream in January or February trying to tie it for the first time in the season and my fingers are numb and slow its not a knot I like to tie at all!

Last edited:
slay12345
It always seems I have no problem tying the blood knot at home when I practice on a spool of mono, over and over and over. But when i'm out on the stream in January or February trying to tie it for the first time in the season and my fingers are numb and slow its not a knot I like to tie at all!

Last edited:
slay12345

Last edited:
turkey
Is there an advantage to using blood knots over surgeons knots? I normally tie the latter.

Animated knots by grog is a great site to learn.

Last edited:
turkey
Is there an advantage to using blood knots over surgeons knots? I normally tie the latter.

Last edited:
turkey

Last edited:
DaveKile
Turkey,

A surgeons knot is often used to tie lines of difference size. A blood knot does this too, but not as great of a difference. The blood knot provides a smaller knot when tied by someone other than me.

Last edited:
DaveKile
Turkey,

A surgeons knot is often used to tie lines of difference size. A blood knot does this too, but not as great of a difference. The blood knot provides a smaller knot when tied by someone other than me.

Last edited:
DaveKile
Turkey,

Last edited:
WildTigerTrout
I have fished my entire life. I have flyfished since early March 2005. I have not fished with anything but a flyrod since.

Last edited:
WildTigerTrout
Sorry about that I misread the question. I have visited the site since June this year.

Last edited:
W
For me, it was definitely the 90s. Maybe '98?

Last edited:
jayL
I found it via search engines a bunch of times, but took whatever info I needed and forgot about it. I started contributing in the early to mid 00's and regularly around 2006-7.

The lost databases are a bummer. Lots of "how do I connect fly to leader" kinda questions out there from many modern day regulars, myself included.

Last edited:
MKern
I started in 2004; when it was the previous layout.

I have visited almost everyday since then.

I don't post as much as I used to for a couple reasons:
The site is way busier now and questions get answered right away.
and
The same stuff pops up year after year.

Last edited:
sandfly
some where around 2002 i signed up..

Last edited:
D
I got my first computer in 2000, and probably started posting here around 2001 or 2002, if I remember correctly.
I was told about the site by a buddy who never posted anything here, but would just occassionally visit to check out the fishing reports
Paflyfish is now on - along with 3 other sites - my most visited site bar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back