Fly Fishing for trout in Lancaster

oakesna

oakesna

I am originally from Montgomery County and fish the Wissahickon and Stoney Creeks. I go to school at Millersville University and have found some good places nearby to bass fish, but I am looking for some decent places to fish for trout. Any input? Thanks!

Oaks it depends on what type of fishing you want to do and what type of trout you are afer. For bigger stocked streams I would try the West Branch of the Octorara fly fishing only section or Muddy Creek in York Co. Smaller streams like Fishing creek, Conewago creek or Donegal springs will be closest to you with some chances for wild browns. If you want to fish tiny streams for Brook trout check out this site and explore all the blue lines. Most of them were worth at least a look. I'll be fishing all this weekend. PM if you have any questions.

http://146.186.163.133/preview/map.ashx?layer=980

If you are limited regarding transportation or time, I think the closest stocked trout stream to Millersville is the West Branch Little Conestoga, which is west of Millersville. See the PFBC trout stocking schedule for the stocked section's limits. The Little Conestoga and Swarr Run, which are just off Harrisburg Pike and not far from Park City Mall are also stocked.

Good point Mike, it wasn't too long ago that I was a college student and transportation and money were huge barriers to my fishing expeditions.

Back