Fly fishing for Snakeheads video

Fredrick wrote:
With that being said they are a great topwater fish because they are always in shallow water, since they breath air and their eyes are positioned in a way that they are always looking above them .

Say what? They breathe air?

Rather than be lazy (as is my tendency), I did a little research and learned about how snakeheads do indeed have the ability to breathe air, but lacking a diaphragm they need to submerge to facilitate oxygen exchange. Really interesting stuff.

This is from a Virginia Tech fact sheet on Northern Snakeheads:

Northern snakeheads do breathe air. Unlike many other air-breathing fishes, they have a series of spaces in the rear portion of their head called the suprabranchial chamber. These spaces are filled with folded tissues that have a high surface area, and allow oxygen exchange to occur directly between air and their blood. Unlike humans, they lack a diaphragm, and use water to exchange old air with fresh air each time they take a breath. Thus, their ability to breathe air when out of the water is limited. Northern snakeheads could survive out of the water for several days if they are kept moist, but would desiccate and perish in minutes if placed on dry land in direct sunlight. Northern snakeheads also have gills, and breathe water like any other fish. They breathe air to supplement their demand for oxygen, and appear to breathe air far more frequently when they are actively swimming, much like a runner gasps for breath compared to someone who is sitting and reading.

I know the spot it's a very well known snakehead farm. I typically don't watch fishing videos but I enjoyed it. Thanks.

poopdeck wrote:
I know the spot it's a very well known snakehead farm. I typically don't watch fishing videos but I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment I got some more footage I’m going to put out in a few weeks won’t be as long as this one .

On the big snakehead it looked for a second like you almost forgot and went to stick your thumb in it’s mouth. I live on Woodbury creek where I catch some lovely channel cats but I’m told it’s prime snakehead water. The Heinz refuge is a pretty beaten up area.

Nice video Fred, what wt rod is that? Is it just me or does it have a lot of flex?

sarce wrote:
Nice video Fred, what wt rod is that? Is it just me or does it have a lot of flex?

It’s the sage largemouth rod 330 grains it’s considered a fast action rod . https://www.sageflyfish.com/product/specialty/bass-ii#!

JP I have caught myself a few times attempting to lip the fish but luckily for me they like to keep their mouths closed

sarce wrote:
Is it just me or does it have a lot of flex?

They do have pills for that these days.

lmao FD.

Hate when my rod problems get "exposed"

Fred,
What weight rod and leader do you use? Also when would you start fishing for them again in JH? (When do they become active)

Murdoc wrote:
Fred,
What weight rod and leader do you use? Also when would you start fishing for them again in JH? (When do they become active)

I use a Sage Bass rod https://www.sageflyfish.com/product/specialty/bass-ii#!

I mainly use 20lb tippet and will most likely start fishing for them again in May.

Last video until the weather warms . Great colors on this fish.
https://youtu.be/tKsVIrQ5ZEo

I recognize the first video. That place gets hit hard. I was out there a few times last summer and saw other yakkers everyday.

The second video I do not recognize, but i have some suspicions

melvinthefisherman wrote:
I recognize the first video. That place gets hit hard. I was out there a few times last summer and saw other yakkers everyday.

The second video I do not recognize, but i have some suspicions

NO burning LOL Have you caught some on the fly yet ?

Attachments

• SpotBurn.jpg
    SpotBurn.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 2
Come on guys, don't be afraid to answer this.

Have any of you tried eating them? Rumor has it that they taste pretty good.

FarmerDave wrote:
Come on guys, don't be afraid to answer this.

Have any of you tried eating them? Rumor has it that they taste pretty good.

I haven't eaten one yet but I heard that they taste very similar to striper .

I'd try it. Heck I'll cook it for ya. some good cooks on here. Bring some fillets to the jam and we'll have a cook off.

tomgamber wrote:
I'd try it. Heck I'll cook it for ya. some good cooks on here. Bring some fillets to the jam and we'll have a cook off.

I’ll see what I can do Tom may isn’t exactly prime season for them .

nice video Fredrick! snakeheads look like a good time!

Back