Fly Fishing for Snakeheads and Bowfin success thread

Fredrick

Fredrick

The hits were plentiful but the fish were out of practice. They were having a hard time getting the fly in their mouths. Caught two today both on topwater. Looking for forward to this years snakehead and bowfin season.
IMG 6676
IMG 6674

Last edited by a moderator:
Never blame the fish!!

Good start......good luck this season, Fred
Says you, I got it all on video. But yes, I will admit some were my fault. And thanks, definitely looking forward to an epic season. And that invite is still there when you are ready.

Here are some recent videos I made . Enjoy

I would likely shriek like a school child if I hooked one of those things. They give me the heebie jeebies.

Frederick - What do you think that big one weighs ? Always impressed with what you're catching !

Thanks, its 11 pounds, this fish was redemption for me since the spot I caught it in has always kicked my but.

pretty cool fredrick. something different on fly gear! thats always a plus in my book instead of a trout. nice work

Yeah, super nice fish Fred. Almost makes me want to go buy a 9 weight and a kayak.

@jifigz

The fish pulled pretty good. When it was first hooked, it kinda just laid down and let me drag it in. When it saw the net, though, it got pissed and freaked out. It did three hard runs away from the boat before we got it to net. We were in tight confines, so I didn't let it take much line, but it was definitely bulldogging me and thrashing. It reminded me of how a shad fights, sorta.

The take was pretty cool, too. I cast at a swirl on the shoreline - didn't see the actual fish - and it swiped the fly on top. I cast again quick and it swiped again, kept chasing, and then gulped it. Was exciting as hell.

The fish was released so it can go on to create more snakehead for future generations to enjoy.

Awesome man great stuff, you always fight a snakehead at least twice one when hooked and then in the boat lol. Just got a boat you should come down sometime.

That’s Awesome! Congratulations man. I don’t know much about snakehead, but 11.5 seems quite large. Makes me want to get out for some Bowfin! How do the snakehead’s fight compared to bowfin? Just curious because I love chasing bowfin! I’ve never caught a snakehead. They look fun though!

Back