fly-fishing for river smallmouth

evw659

evw659

hey guys:
I started fly-fishing for smallies a few weeks ago and am wondering what rod, reel and line to use. I used my trout rig (5 wt rod with a 5-6 reel) friday and saturday on the allegheny and caught a some decent smallies despite the very low and clear water. I have rio gold 5 wt line and put on a 6 ft. salmon/steelhead sinktip to get my fly down. ive been looking at some sinktip bass fly lines but dont know what to get.......anybody have any suggestions?......... and is my rod and reel adequate?

evw,
Your outfit is adequate although definitely on the light side for river bassin. If you're looking to get a fly rod for smallies I'd recommend a 9' for a 7WT line. Also, you mention fishing a sink tip. I suppose if you were fishing deeper water in the lock and dam sections of the Allegheny a sinking line would be an asset (I use one on occasion myself). However, for probably 99% of river bassin applications here in PA, a floating line is better.

thanks for the info,
i would love to buy a new rig but the rod and reel i have now i just got a month ago for my 16th birthday. im above all the locks and fished a lot of deep water dead drifting small crawfish patterns(which i think resembled giant stonefly nymphs)and had success with that. ive been going to my camp since i was a kid and have only seen one fly-fisherman on the river(which was on friday) amazing because it seems like a very effective method...........as far as line goes i think ill get line with a short sink tip maybe 10 feet...any preferred brands?

Back