Fly Fishing Classes - Western PA

K

kegiles

Hello,

I am new to this forum and website. I also want to begin fly fishing. I live in Western Pennsylvania and was wondering if anyone knew of any good Fly Fishing Schools/Classes in the Western PA area. I have a lot of free time and am willing to travel 2 hours to take a worth-while fly fishing/tying class. Please let me know of any such schools. I can be reached via email at giles.kevin@hotmail.com. Thanks.

almost all local flyshops ffer "guided" sessions. It prety much is a lesson. Kind of expensive but thats about all we got. Or you could make arrangements w/ one of us Western PA'ers and buy us beer. That may be slightly cheaper than getting one of the guides

Ryan's got the good plan. I'm sure many members of this board would be happy to help for some brews and a little companionship on the stream. If it was the east, I would.

I also like Ryan's suggestion. I think most W'PAers on this board will do this for beer ... or a sandwitch. I'd do it, but I'm self taught, and probably have a lot of bad habits so I probably wouldn't be the best instructor.

Here is another one. Find someone who has farm pond, and practice your casting on bass and bluegills. They are a blast, and you won't get frustrated. Once you get the hang of it, go for the trout.

http://www.ventureoutdoors.org/activityresults.asp

Good group. Where in WPA are you ? You might live next door to one of the members of this board.

I think taking lessons is a good idea. Either from a pro instructor, or just have someone who's experienced show you the basics.

If you are a member of TU, probably one of the members would take some time to show you the basics of rigging up the tackle and show you the basics of casting.

As far as instructors, some are very good, some aren't. Some are very good at casting, but not very good at teaching others to cast.

Ask around and see if you can find someone who had a good experience with someone teaching them. If someone is a really good teacher, it would be worth spending some money for lessons IMHO. You'd learn more in a few lessons than in a few years of hacking around on your own. I learned it the hacking around way, but it was pretty frustrating for the first few years.

I'm probably heading to Venago county this sunday. PM me if interested.

If you want to take a lesson, I'd recommend one of two shops. International Angler has 2 locations in the Pittsburgh Area. Robinson Twp and Aspinwall. I prefer going to Robinson because it's close. Great guys in that shop.

Also, Neshannock Creek Fly Shop is another great shop. I went out with a guide from there about 7 years ago and it was a huge help in both learning the stream and learning better technique.

Also as has been mentioned, going with somebody who knows what to do is also a big help.

Back